1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Big Creek, West Virginia ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Sep 11, 2007.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Imprisoned, assaulted, tortured, forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from the toilet.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/10/woman.tortured/index.html

Wow if you look at the mug shots you wonder if collectively they could come up with a full set of chromosomes.

2. Re: Only in West Virginia ...

Altogether now,
    "It's Not About Race."

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Only in West Virginia ...

"Deputies arrested Frankie Brewster, 49; her son Bobby, 24; Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, West Virginia; and George A. Messer, 27, Karen Burton, 46, and Alisha Burton, 23, all of Chapmanville, West Virginia. All six were held Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond each, and all have asked for court-appointed public defenders, according to AP."

Ah...a mother bonding with her son....

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Suck fucks...

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Fire up Ol' Sparky for all six of them.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know. That all look pretty normal. ...

7. Re: Only in West Virginia ...

this world really sucks sometimes.

8. Re: Only in West Virginia ...

This morning's Charleston Gazette has a photo of the woman who was assaulted and her mother taken at the hospital.
    The paper ID's the victim - but doesn't interview her. The reporter interviews the 20 year-old's mom and ID's them both.
    Why?
    To me, this is bullshit. The victim should NOT in any way shape or form be ID. I really believe the AP is correct in not Identifying victims to sexual assault. I don't think the Gazette's story should be any exception.
    The story is enhanced (slightly) by the interview with the victim's parents, by why ID them? Why not refer to them as "parents of the victim?"

I think this is really bad form on the part of the Gazette?

Here is the Gazette's story (I'm removing the name of the reporter)

6 arrested, charged in torture

Authorities believe racism played role in woman’s ordeal

Staff writer
    CHARLESTON - Carmen Williams doesn’t understand why her 20-year-old daughter was tortured, raped and tied up in a shed.
    Police tell her that what happened was probably a hate crime, that it happened because Megan Williams is black.
    “Every time they stabbed her, they called her ‘nigger,’ ” her mother said.
    But whatever the reason, Carmen Williams wants people to know what happened to her daughter. She agreed to talk to a reporter from her daughter’s room at Charleston Area Medical Center General Hospital.
    She said a man and a woman — who Megan Williams thought were her friends — took her to the house of Frankie Lee Brewster in Pecks Mill, Logan County.
    Megan Williams was held in the house for about a week, police said.
    According to criminal complaints filed against six people in this case, she was beaten, stabbed, choked, sexually assaulted and threatened with death.
    The details are even more horrible. According to the complaints, she was forced to eat dog and rat feces and to lick up blood. She was made to lick parts of Brewster’s body, under the threat of death. Her hair was pulled out. She was made to drink from the toilet. She was sexually assaulted while hot water was poured on her body, and while a man held a knife to her.
    A woman allegedly cut Megan Williams’ ankle and said, “That’s what we do to niggers around here.”
    Six people had been charged Monday evening, including Brewster, the 49-year-old woman who owns the home where the alleged assault happened. She is charged with sexual assault, kidnapping, malicious wounding and giving false statements to an officer.
    Bobby R. Brewster, Frankie Brewster’s 24-year-old son, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony.
    Danny J. Combs, 20, is charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding. George A. Messer, 27, is charged with assault during the commission of a felony and battery.
    Karen Burton, 46, is charged with malicious wounding, battery and assault during the commission of a felony. Her daughter, Alisha Burton, 23, is charged with assault during the commission of a felony and battery.
    Each was being held Monday at Southwestern Regional Jail on $100,000 bail.
    Carmen Williams said the two people who took her daughter to the Pecks Mill house did it so she could be tortured. Police are looking for those people, Logan County Chief Deputy V.K. Dingess said Monday evening.
    “Apparently once they got her there they planned to do this,” Dingess said.
    Carmen Williams said she has barely left her daughter’s side since police found her Saturday.
    “She wakes up in the middle of the night screaming, ‘Mommy,’” she said. “What’s really bad is that we don’t know everything they did to her. She is crying all the time.”
    She said her daughter has been a little better since she learned that the people who hurt her have been arrested.
    The FBI has been called in to investigate the incident as a hate crime, Dingess said. All six of the people charged so far are white.
    Megan Williams was found Saturday at Brewster’s house. Police, acting on a tip, went to the residence to check on a female who was reportedly being held against her will, according to the criminal complaint filed in Logan County Magistrate Court.
    “Frankie was sitting on her front porch with her door open. We asked Frankie who else was at the residence and she stated no one else was here, that she was alone,” according to the complaint. “As she was talking, she got up and stepped toward her door when a female inside the residence limped toward the door with her arms out, saying, ‘help me.’ ”
    The woman, Megan Williams, had four stab wounds in her left leg. Her eyes are bruised.
    Brewster told police that she didn’t know how that had happened to Williams. She told police she had been away with friends, and that Williams came to her house on Saturday already in that condition.
    Megan Williams was taken first to Logan Regional Hospital and then to CAMC General, where she underwent surgery for her leg wounds, Dingess said.
    “We have all been praying and asking the lord to take us through this,” Carmen Williams said. “It’s hard to deal with it. We are very angry. ... She will be scarred for a long time.”
    Megan Williams has some “mental issues,” including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, her mother said.
    “She was always pretty happy,” she said of her daughter. “She wants to be on her own. She is a good person.”
    Carmen Williams said it will take a long time for her daughter to recover.
    “People don’t realize that people will call themselves your friends but they are not really your friends,” said Matthew Williams, the woman’s father. “People have to be aware that things like that will happen.”

- 30 -

PS
    I don't know about the thread title "Only in W.Va."
    This shit happens all over the country - Texas, Tennessee, Colorado, Kentucky ... Not only in West Virginia.

Edit: I went back and ran the spell check .

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Orv, the 'only in' thing is a running joke. Someone started an 'only in Detroit' thread and it spun boots out. So now it's random.

Certainly not meant judgmentally, I don't think.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that unless the daughter herself wanted her name to be used, I wouldn't have used it, even if the mom said it was OK.

Also, what's the deal with the "mental issues." ADHD is hardly something that would be worth mentioning in a story like this.

It's certainly not something that would cause you to not know any better than to hang around with retarded, torture-loving rednecks.

11. Re: Only in West Virginia ...

Ace,
    My wife may take exception to your remarks, considering she married a retarded, torture-loving (I am a Pittsburgh Pirates fan after all) redneck!
    Though, in fairness she doesn't have ADHD.

;D

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They just need some diversity training.

Draft saved Draft deleted