1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only higher taxes on the rich will save us from riots in the street

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Anyone can get a job in retail or fast food. All I am saying is that there is always an excuse to give someone a handout (kids, no car, etc.) but not a lot of calls for someone to show initiative and get themselves out of a bad situation. I guess this goes to the difference between liberals and conservatives so this line of argument isn't going anywhere.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, and lower taxes would allow people the savings to invest in their future, whether through additional education or investing in their own business.

I also wouldn't say "education" is as necessary in identifying opportunities as "smarts" are. Lots of folks who aren't super educated have figured out ways to make money and/or start their own business.

As for training, no it's not free. But, sometimes you can get paid for it. Take a low level job. They'll train you. You can learn a new business. (You can even learn the "vendors". Hi Dixie Hack.)

If you're smart, once you know how a business works, you will see where the opportunities are.

Waiting for the government to come along and "train" you or point you in the right direction? Yeah, I don't have a lot of faith in that plan.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Work this crappy retail job for 28 hours a week! Then work another one because we won't give you full-time hours so we don't have to give you benefits! Then go to school! And raise your kids!

Then, and only then, may you apply fruitlessly to work a job that we'll eventually outsource to India to save a few pennies.

You're welcome. And no, you may not have another.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We, as a society, have it within our means to make sure that everyone has food, shelter, clothing, health care and access to basic education.

Beyond that? If having kids makes it harder for you to attain a higher-paying career, then that was your choice.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What about people who aren't "smart"? However you define it, that's a very large chunk of the population, and that's without even factoring in whether a person had access to even the most basic functional high school education.

"Screw 'em, they should be smarter" might make conservatives feel morally superior. It doesn't solve any problems, however.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So Pillowtex ships all its mills to China. Same with Cannon and Fieldcrest and scores of other manufacturers.

In fact the entire US textile business gets shipped overseas.

Whose responsibility is it to retrain the hundreds of thousands textile workers thereby idled? Many middle-aged, with families to support?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Provided, of course, you chose to go to a public high school that was forbidden to teach you about pregnancy prevention, and you chose to live in a state that forbid you from having easy access to birth control, and you chose to live in a state that's defunding abortion providers...

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I see nothing wrong with the government helping someone that really needs help. It just seems to me like the bar keeps getting lower and lower.

9. TigerVols

McDonald's! Duh!

10. TigerVols

Got any stats to back that up?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you don't have access to birth control and abortion, then pregnancy is just forced upon you? That doesn't sound quite right to me, but I'll admit female anatomy has always bit confusing to me. What the hell is a fallopian tube?

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Right, because it is the SCHOOL'S job to teach you about those things. Parents? What do they know about it? Why should a parent be burdened with raising a child the right way when the school can do it for them?

Draft saved Draft deleted