1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only higher taxes on the rich will save us from riots in the street

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Cool. Let me know what else I can say.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So what is preventing an uneducated person from going on a job board, seeing thousands of openings for "medical coding" and then deciding, "I'm going to get trained on how to do this."

What allows me to "recognize this opportunity" but not them?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Anyone can recognize an opportunity. There are plenty of barriers to actually availing oneself of it, money and education, to name just two. I don't think they do that training for free.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So all that loud Tea-Party "tree of liberty refreshed from time-to-time," etc. boilerplate was an offensive call to violence? Huh.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why assume they can't recognize opportunity?

Why not assume they can't afford the necessary (re)training?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CENSUS_RECESSIONS_IMPACT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-09-22-06-26-04

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

They can work at McDonalds to save the money for the training. Right?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are you volunteering to care for their children while they are in class?

Are you volunteering to drive them to the class, which most likely is not served by a public transportation system that can get them there in less than a 3 hour round trip?

Are you volunteering to keep food in their family's belly while they are getting the training they weren't offered in high school?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That particular article quotes some expert going on about what will happen when the job market does improve, while offering no justification at all for the belief that it will.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How much money are you going to "save for the training" while you keep your kids fed on $8.50 an hour?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not if McDonalds won't hire anyone considered "overqualified" they can't.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, that's different. Job-creators are allowed to threaten violence to keep the peasants in line. The peasants should be grateful for the crumbs that trickle down to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted