1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only higher taxes on the rich will save us from riots in the street

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 22, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's not what I said, and you know it.

A large percentage of the "poor" are "people of color". Unemployment among African Americans is much higher than among Caucasians.

And, apparently, if we don't do more to "help the poor" and "create jobs", we're on the verge of civil unrest. The poor won't be able to help themselves. They're not like "us".

I'm concerned. We better be careful.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm white and I have a decent job and I'm pissed as hell about the widening gap, and many people's desire to make the gap even wider.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The overwhelming majority is white.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

People eventually fight when they're backed far enough into a corner.

5. YankeeFan

So, well-educated, informed, hard-working people, need the federal government to train them and "funnel them into new, expanding professions?"

Really?

Our best and brightest -- literate, college educated folks with superior communication skills -- need some mid-level government bureaucrat to design a program for them and to identify expanding professions for them?

By the time the government figures out what field is expanding, it will have probably peaked.

How about using your own superior intellect to figure out what fields are expanding and to come up with a plan to profit from it.

That's what I did, and I don't have half the intellect or education of most on this board.

Look for the opportunities. They are always out there -- in every economy. And, you have a lot better chance of identifying them than some labor department employee. You can also move faster and seize the opportunity before it vanishes.

6. YankeeFan

If you don't think the undertone of this kind of rhetoric is racially based, then we disagree.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not broken. That's working as intended. Structural unemployment is a long-term positive for society.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I thought a lot of this board while reading this yesterday:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/08/21/the-illusion-of-asymmetric-insight/

It's a great read, and it's not fair to YF that his post is the one that I use as an example, because this happens all over the spectrum.

What YF basically said here is "I understand the other side's motivations better than they do, and they are simplistic and wrong." It comes directly from the illusion of asymmetric insight that this article discusses in depth.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But that's not happening. Not everyone is equipped to grab the brass ring, because they aren't educated enough to recognize opportunities. You were. I am. Everyone on this board is, really.

But not high school dropouts. Not Appalachia. Not inner-city Detroit. That's a problem, and it's systemic.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When you ain't got nothin,' you got nothin' to lose.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think your undertone is racially based, perhaps inadvertently, because you're ignoring the long history of class-based social unrest in this country.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Are you fucking serious? Jeez, you are sick in the head. Advocating violence against the rich because you can't get enough of their money to give to someone else? You are one sick bastard.

Draft saved Draft deleted