1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only child?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Nov 19, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Before I forget, congrats W-B!

2. We weren't trying for another one.

But I will say, now that I know we're having another one, my only regret is not doing it sooner so that they will be closer together in age.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

WFW, fj, except that personally, I'm losing the creativity battle.

4. Congrats WB.

FWIW, I am an only child and although there were many great things that came along with that (independence, incredibly attentive parents, learning to entertain yourself, self-confidence) there are a lot of downsides as well. I'm still young and my parents are in fine health, but living in a city with no family around has made me realize that is something happened to my parents I would basically be alone. Sure, I have aunts and uncles and cousins, but I grew up far from them and although they are great, we aren't close enough to make up for being an only child.

But obviously this doesn't matter any more since a decision has been made for you. Congrats again.

5. Yeah, this thread is pretty much moot for me now ... I just thought it was better to post it here for the full context than start an entirely new thread ...

6. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Congrats, Write-brained.

Our kids (now 10 and 5) sound like they're almost exactly as far apart in age as your kids will be. We didn't want to have so much time between them, but it turns out to have been great.

For one thing, sibling rivalry is almost non-existent. And the timing is such that you'll have tons of one-on-one time with the new arrival, just like you did with the only. Right about the time your new baby is born, the older one will be going off to school for the first time, and there will be lots of time for the baby. And my profoundly unsentimental wife, who had unexpectedly found herself deepely saddened by the idea of sending her kid off to school, suddenly didn't have that issue to deal with anymore.

Don't worry about the spacing -- at least not until your older kid can buy beer for your 16-year-old.

7. Thanks dude, that is extremely comforting - other than the beer part.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This was our experience, too. No. 1 (girl) is 13, No. 2 (boy) is 8. They get along very well.

We had an unexpected No. 3. She's 7. I'll be frank -- I was less than happy when I learned of her impending arrival. It has all worked out very, very well, however; she's an absolute joy.

Congratulations and all the best, W_B. You're in for some fun. The main thing we were surprised about was how much we had forgotten about having a baby between 1 and 2. It'll be fun to relearn all of that.

9. Actually, the baby part was my least favorite thing about being a dad. My intent is just to trooper through the first year - when they smile, walk and sorta talk - and I'll be fine. I still have nightmares about diapers, formula and not sleeping.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I was an only child until I was 6 when my dad and step-mom had my sister, Bethany. Then my step-dad and mom had my other sister, Jessica, when I was 7. Kasey came along when I was 10.

Growing up, I wished I was closer in age to all of them so I could be the protective big brother, but everything has worked out fine so far.

And for the record, Bethany lives with our dad and Jessica and Kasey are with me and my parents.

11. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Absolutely. With the first kid, I didn't know what I was doing, but I tried so hard and was so concerned about everything that it worked out fine. Five years later, I was like "I've been through this all before; I know what I'm doing." Instead I was as clueless as I had been the first time around, but with a cavalier attitude to boot. Lucky for #2, whatever didn't kill her has made her stronger.

Which, by the way, is another advantage of 5 years between the kids. #1 is a very middling athlete, whereas #2 not only has some skills, but also has the advantage of mixing it up with a 10-year-old boy every day at home. Once we threw her into the mini-lax league with all the other 4-year-old girls last year, she was murder on groundballs, and had to be dissuaded from the stick checking that she was used to in the backyard.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I grew up with a big brother, but that didn't stop me from being lazy, selfish and immature. I only really started to outgrow that once I had a little one of my own.

Maybe y'all are just naturally selfish and lazy like me? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted