1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only child?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Congratulations to you and your family, WB.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

So much for best-laid plans, eh? ;D

Oh, and congrats.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's great, dude. I hope everything goes well and your daughter is psyched. And she will be -- until she realizes of what that little bastard is depriving her (money, toys, attention).

I hate my brother.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Congrats, W_B, and I hope it all works out for you.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was born as an only child, but I had a taste of what it might be like to have a sibling when my mother remarried. All of a sudden, I had a stepsister.

To compound things, my aunt was the only sibling either of my parents had. She never had children and she died at 50. Thus, I was an only child AND an only grandchild.

I wanted a brother or sister when I was growing up. I would have loved to have had a first cousin then. However, when my mother started showing preference for my stepsister over me, it fueled resentment that has never gone away. Even now, I almost never speak to my mother.

Having said that, I managed to have close bonds with a couple of my closest friends later in life. They've been the sisters (and brother) I always wanted without the added baggage of being actually related by blood.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Have you ever told her how you feel and why?

Congrats, WB.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I'm the oldest sister with a younger sister and brother. I'm 41, my sister is 39 and my brother is 36. We all still live in the Pittsburgh area, as do both of my parents. My sister and husband have 2 kids; my brother and sister and in have 3 kids. I'm very close to my sister and kids and help out as often as I can.

I was in a relationship for 12 years until he decided to up and leave one day...no reason, no notice. No kids, and not really interested in having them at this point.

It's nice to be able to "share the stress" of aging parents who are also financially struggling a little bit.

I do miss being in a relationship but I've been enjoying the freedom of doing whatever I want whenever I want as well.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm an only child as well. I didn't feel lonely, or depressed as a kid....my mother made sure to keep me busy. Plus, I grew up in the city so there were friends all over my neighborhood......it was great really. and I was very involved in sports....which was a great way to work on people skills. I still like to be left alone, I need my "downtime" where it's just me and my thoughts......

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You'll notice not too long after Fenian posted that, Mrs. WB got knocked up.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I am an only child, and it harmed me in many more ways than it helped me.

It took me until my mid-20s to even come close to growing up. I'm selfish, lazy and depend on other people to get what I want. I have become much more responsible in the past few years, but in general I'm still a disaster.

The only thing I got from it was creativity from a lot of isolation.

Not a good trade.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My parents really couldn't afford to spoil me. However, my grandparents gleefully picked up that slack.

As for hand-me-downs, when I was older, I often wore hand-me-downs from my father when he was no longer able to fit into super skinny clothes. Of course, this was back when I could fit into super skinny clothes, once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away.

12. Congrats W-B.
    If I may ask, what changed? When you started this thread, I think the sentiment was "My wife and really don't want another one."

Draft saved Draft deleted