1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only child?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If an only child marries someone who has sibling(s) who have children: voila, nieces and nephews.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Earlier poster nails it. As an only child, it's not a big deal at all. As an only adult, with infirm parents, you're at sea. Especially if there are no other relatives around. Been through it when my mother went blind and later died of cancer. Facing it with my father, who, though incredibly spry and self-sufficient still, turned 88 the other day.

YHS, etc

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I've pretty much felt like an only child since my sister went off to college in 1996. It is as glorious now as it was then. Granted, I was 15 when she went off to college, but I know I wouldn't have minded if she hadn't been around from about the time I turned 6.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

On my dad's side of the family, The Christmas dinner gets so big, the family rents the local community building for the day.

Between my family, dad's family, his parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins......there are somewhere around 100 people under one roof for Christmas Dinner.

And this is just my side of the family, not the wifes.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I have no full-blood cousins either. Just three that I share a grandmother with on my mom's side. My dad's sister never got married and took to thinking my sister and I were her kids too, which pissed my mom off to no end. But it also essentially means double the christmas presents for my sister and me. We were and are spoiled little brats. Good times.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm an only child of only children.

I have no first cousins, no nieces or nephews, no aunts or uncles. I start with seconds and greats. My family as a whole is pretty small.

I've never felt any great absence. I learned to entertain myself. I read a lot as a kid, and still do.

Sometimes I wanted a sibling, usually older -- someone who could've fought battles with my overprotective parents for me. But that's not guaranteed, as I learned from a high school friend with an older brother.

My mom also reminds me that I threatened to throw any (purely hypothetical) sibling down the trash compactor. So I guess I didn't mind being an only child all that much. ::)

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Given my driving history, I suppose I'm a complete failure.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You said it, not me.

Point was as a point-counterpoint to my brother's legal problems. Not so much a grand statement on those with bad driving records.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stop beating yourself up Pall.

You'd be a complete failure even with a clean driving record. :D :D :D

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

One-hundred people? Holy smokes.

11. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

This would describe my life as well. I'm an older brother by four years, and my brother is an absolute asshole of a human being, and I cannot stand him. Likewise, he hates me just as much. We have not spoken in more than five years, and I honestly don't know where he is or how to find him even if I wanted to. Likewise, he has never attempted to contact me.

So I guess consider that another child could also tear the family apart in some ways. I'm more than 2,000 miles away from any blood relatives and wouldn't have it any other way.

12. My wife is pregnant.

So says the little stick she peed on yesterday. It's way too early to announce this kind of thing, but I'm not sure I can hold it in, with it being the only thing on my mind. I am in shock. Happy but in shock.

When the new kid is 15 I will be 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted