1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online sports writers and editors wanted

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Jon Campbell, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Jon Campbell

Jon Campbell New Member

Sports Direct Inc., a digital media and sports content solutions company, is looking for freelancers for various writing assignments and daily editing work. Pay is decent and freelancers will have the ability to work from home, regardless of location.

We also have one full time writing/editing position available that would require the recipient to work from the office.

Assignments focus on the four major pro leagues – NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. The main requirements include:

• Minimum 1-year journalism experience in print or online media
    • Excellent spelling and grammar skills
    • Strong knowledge of AP and/or CP style
    • Strong knowledge of the four major professional sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB)
    • Ability to meet deadlines
    • Ability to work independently with limited supervision
    • Familiarity with the Internet and major sports websites
    • Flexibility to work various hours including evenings, weekends and holidays

If interested, please contact me – Jon Campbell, senior editor jcampbell@sportsdirectinc.com or jobs@sportsdirectinc.com.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's decent pay?

3. Is this legit? I emailed showing interest a couple of days ago and haven't heard back.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, someone please confirm. Or, Jon, give us a little more info on pay please.

5. Jon Campbell

Jon Campbell New Member

Thanks for your interest folks and, yes, this is legit. I have received a ton of responses and need a little time to go over all of them. I'll be contacting those who dropped me a line today and tomorrow to set up some time to chat further.

Cheers,
    Jon

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have some legit property in Florida to sell you.

7. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

This company is based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and operates Covers.com most notably.

From SportsDirect Inc. Web site:

"SportsDirect Inc. is the world's leading online media organization for sports statistics, odds and news from a gaming perspective. SportsDirect Inc. and its subsidiaries operate properties such as Covers.com, Wagerline.com and Coversexperts.com and were founded in 1995. In addition to publishing, SportsDirect Inc. provides content to companies in the online and wireless industries such as USAToday and MSNBC."

8. Jon Campbell

Jon Campbell New Member

Hey folks,

Wanted to update you here. We have had an overwhelming response that I wasn't expecting, so I haven't had a chance to reply and get back to everyone.

I'm going to do my best to reach you all and have conducted several interviews already. The reality is that I probably won't have a chance to get to everyone because we have to make our decisions fairly quickly here and I apologize for that.

If I don't reach you, please don't be discouraged. It probably has more to do with time than anything and we anticipate a lot of opportunity in the near future for additional work so feel free to contact me any time beyond this to check in.

Tomorrow is Veterans Day/Remembrance Day so I likely won't be reaching out tomorrow, just so you are aware, but I’ll continue through the evening tonight and again on Thursday.

Cheers,
    Jon

P.S. Not sure who mustangj17 is, but I guess you’ll get your clowns in every forum. Please ignore and as many of you already know, we are legit and have some great opportunities.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some would consider you to be a clown for making a job post with nearly no information on the important things: rate of pay, legitimacy of operation, clients, etc. See, on this board we run into a lot of B.S. So when people ask for you to give details and then you DONT... well, you can understand the rest.

Enjoy your day off, the rest of us will be working and or ignoring me.

10. packwriter2002

packwriter2002 New Member

For what it's worth, he got back to me. Have some patience.

11. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

was curious to see if anyone landed one of these positions?

12. Jon Campbell

Jon Campbell New Member

Hi folks,

I wanted to let you know we filled our positions. I tried to get back to as many of you as I could but there were still plenty I didn't have a chance to speak with or respond to. I apologize for that and thank you all for your interest.

I am keeping you all on file because we often have opportunities pop up from time to time and I'll definitely be posting again when something becomes available. I'm thinking that won't be too long from now but I can't elaborate much more than that right now I'm afraid.

In the mean time here is one opportunity that we always have available for those interested:

We are always looking for quality freelancers to write for one of our main sites, Covers.com, the leading sports wagering information site on the web. Yes, it's free for anyone and I invite you to check it out if you're not familiar. The site covers the major professional and college sports and knowledge of the odds and sports wagering would be important.

We generally pay from $40 to $100 per assignment depending on the piece. We cover a wide variety of things including basic 'Top 5' articles, columns, blogs and in-depth feature stories on sports betting related topics.

Feel free to contact at jcampbell@sportsdirectinc.com or articles@sportsdirectinc.com.

Thanks again and I hope to be posting again soon with more opportunities.

Draft saved Draft deleted