1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online reporter for The Oklahoman (NewsOK.com)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by flaming_mo, Jun 6, 2006.

1. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

I'd be curious to learn how this reporter is going to be used.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2006/1909.html

The Oklahoman and NewsOK.com are seeking an experienced, energetic and hard-working reporter who will lead our expanded online coverage of college sports, the No. 1 topic with our readers.

This reporter would mix breaking news, profiles of players and game coverage at our new premium site. Coverage of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State athletics powers our print circulation and online traffic. We're looking to dominate our market by doing even more.

This reporter will help keep up the pace online, in print, on the air and on every other platform available.

We are looking for someone with print and online experience, knowledge of how deliver news in this multimedia age.

The Oklahoman is a family-owned newspaper with a circulation of 215,000 daily, 297,000 Sundays. NewsOK.com is a subsidary of the company and is ranked among the Top 15 newspaper Web sites in the nation for its reach in its marketplace. NewsOK.com has 700,000 registered users and gets 35 million page views per month.

If you are interested, contact deputy sports editor Mike Koehler at (405) 475-3314 or mkoehler@oklahoman.com

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There was another thread on this that I was surprised never got a second post. This seems interesting. I'm also curious what this job would be like. Is it something other papers/Web sites are going to?

3. InOKC

InOKC New Member

Response had been pretty good.
    This spot will be part of our coverage team on OU and OSU sports and will stay plenty busy.
    If you have any questions, shoot them my way.

thanks
    mike koehler, the Oklahoman.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

That's my bad. I didn't see it posted earlier.

I love the concept, but I'd be concerned about potential turf battles between the beat writers and the online guy.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Seems to me if you have a good editor, the guys and gals involved know their roles and everybody keeps each other informed as to what's going on, you wouldn't have turf battles. Sounds to me like the job is for a backup Oklahoma and OSU beat writer...like he would do the day-to-day stuff (coach press conferences, practices, gamer notebooks) so the beat writer could concentrate on bigger things, like features, investigative stuff, etc.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Mike

I am wondering do we need to send off resume/clips to you if interested in the job or do we just follow the ad and contact you by phone or e-mail? Just asking b/c it seems a bit odd that you personally have to deal with what I would assume is a huge response to the job posting.

Thanks.

7. InOKC

InOKC New Member

"Backup" is really not the right term. This person will be writing the exclusive content for the web, so the print guys will still be providing everything that goes into the paper each day.
    No turf battles are expected because everyone will be feeding this incredible appetite our readers have for college football. Plus they have good editors.
    The online reporter will be working with a team of two OU writers, two OSU writers, a Big 12 writer and three columnists we already have pointed toward college football. With everyone attacking this, the workload is big, but gets spread around.
    As for contacting me, e-mail is the best. I live in Outlook, so I usually can get back to folks pretty quick.

8. JME

JME Member

DOes anyone know a ballpark pay figure for this one?

9. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

10. zman82

zman82 Member

don't know pay but OKC is cheap to live. if my wife didn't hate oklahoma i's apply.

11. Lord_Gordon

Lord_Gordon New Member

Anything new here?

Draft saved Draft deleted