1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online Producer - SI.com - Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hr_reception, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hr_reception

hr_reception New Member

Time Inc., a Time Warner company, is one of the largest content companies in the world. With a portfolio of more than 120 magazines, including some of the world's most popular, powerful and trusted brands, it is the largest magazine publisher in the U.S., and a leading publisher in the U.K. and Mexico. Time Inc.'s popular brands and successful franchises extend to online, television, cable VOD, satellite radio, mobile devices, events and branded products. Each month, one out of every two American adults reads a Time Inc. magazine, and one out of every seven who are online visits a company Web site.

The online producer monitors sports wires, selects and edits stories, selects and posts photos, and manages individual sports sections on SI.com, one of the world's leading sports Web sites. Duties include copy editing original content and writing headlines for both stories and section fronts, as well as writing captions for photos. Managing sports sections involves selecting stories, writing teases for featured content, and assisting the site producer in coordinating news coverage on SI.com's front page. Writing original content is also possible, although not required. In addition to solid editing and writing skills, the ideal applicant will have a broad knowledge of sports, strong news judgment and the organizational skills to multitask. Experience in HTML and Photoshop is a plus. This is NIGHT-SHIFT and WEEKEND position.

Please apply using the following link.

http://jobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_home.asp?partnerid=391&siteid=5161&Codes=NXXX,110610BR

2. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Haven't been on this board in awhile, but surprised at ZERO responses to this. This would seem to be a good destination for anyone jumping ship with newspapers. Comments? Any guess on pay?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Looks like a good gig. Had some technical problems with the web site you go to in order to apply online.

4. willwriteforfood

willwriteforfood New Member

Rumor has it this job has been filled by Jeff Lewis, formerly of the Omaha World-Herald.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Former colleague did this for five years. Left in part because of the gig but mostly because his family did not take to the sprawl of Atlanta.

6. Drakes Place

Drakes Place Guest

I interviewed for the job three times, didn't really want it and didn't get it. It's a 6 p.m.-2 a.m. shift, including weekends, in the Atlanta bureau, working with six or seven other guys (and that's it) in a position that is like working the rim on a newspaper copy desk. Pay, I was told, is upper 40s or low 50s. My feeling after the third interview: You may as well be working in a sweat shop. Not a horrible gig, and SI.com would undoubtedly look great on the resume. But sounds awful for family life, as well as for single life. Great people, though. Unlike the people at NBA.com/Turner Sports (for which I also interviewed three times and didn't get), the guys at SI were straight shooters and made their decision quickly.

7. ctwritereditor

ctwritereditor New Member

From my own experience, Drakes Place assessment of NBA vs. SI is right on the money. Altho I didnt get a sitdown, friend at SI end conveyed how quickly they were moving and the hire seems a solid one. I interviewed twice at Turner for NBA spots and never heard back from anyone regarding a yes or no while they spun their wheels and made a number of terrible hires.

8. Drakes Place

Drakes Place Guest

I agree wholeheartedly about the Turner moves. They did indeed make (and are still making) BAD decisions. The people I interviewed with at SI.com ripped Turner's running of the NBA site. It's fairly laughable. I hear Bryan Perez of NBA Digital is in way over his head and proving to be vastly under-qualified.

9. Jeff's good people and will be perfect for this job. SI got a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted