1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online Prep Writers - Jackson Citizen Patriot - Jackson, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheWritingWaffle, Dec 19, 2011.

1. nempreps

nempreps New Member

I have a hard time believing this, why would they can everyone there to bring back expensive people when they could hire someone right out of college for 25-30k?

2. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

There were two full-time sports guys, and either of them could have had the job at the same pay but opted to go in a different direction. If the person who gets it has that sort of experience, my guess is the pay would be in the high 30s or low 40s. If they don't find anyone and get an entry-level person, then of course the pay will be lower, although I doubt it would fall below $30,000. The pay there has been outstanding over the years - as few as three years ago it was into the mid 50s before pay was sliced.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

You'd think they'd at least throw the new staffers a bone and let them cover a couple races a year at MIS (and I'm not talking about the MHSAA cross country state finals).

Under the "old" Booth/MLive, the Cit-Pat handled the MIS coverage for all eight papers.

4. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

I agree, and this is all just starting out. They don't actually know how it will play out, and I suspect that, especially for the June race, there won't be a lot to do, so someone might venture out to MIS. In August, they will be putting together the football tab (if there still is one), and there is the season-ending softball tournament that will need to be covered. I guess the key is going to be their stringer budget. If they have a lot of stringers, they might be able to do more, but I doubt the paper is going to want them to pay a stringer for local coverage while they go to MIS. It doesn't sound like a fun job, and maybe that's why the guys who were there left.

Draft saved Draft deleted