1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online Prep Writers - Jackson Citizen Patriot - Jackson, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheWritingWaffle, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you want $25K per year, it's a dream job.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

MLive has actually been around for a number of years, maybe 10 or so. Do some good things, although I don't know much about their internal functions/pay/hiring policies, etc.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Booth used to have a no-layoff policy, right?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Holy crap! A no-layoff policy? In today's business, didn't know such a thing existed.

5. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

Booth stopped its no-layoff promise about two years ago.

As far as the "no phone calls from coaches," here is the deal: All seven "formerly Booth papers" in Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Jackson, Bay City, Flint, Saginaw and Grand Rapids will have all of their calls handed at a call center in Grand Rapids. All those employees will be $12 an hour part-time employees, and from what I hear, they won't be assigned to certain papers. For instance, you might take your first call from Essexville Garber, your second call from Kalamazoo Central, your third call from Jackson Lumen Christi. How in the word do you then put together roundups for each paper? And this is going to be done mostly by entry-level workers. A recipe for disaster, if you ask me, but maybe it will work. I expect much turnover when these aspiring sports writers realize there is NO CHANCE to go out on assignment EVER.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Let's not even get into the schools that get coverage in two papers.

That would come into play in Bay City/Saginaw, Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids, Muskegon/Grand Rapids.

I've also heard most of those part-time positions have been filled.

And I agree with you completely, ballparkman.

7. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

Also, I seriously doubt the pay will be in the range of $25,000. I'd add on about $10,000 or more, depending on the experience. It could be in the $40s for the right person.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yeah, the no-layoff clause went out the window when Booth closed The Ann Arbor News in July 2009 and hired a few former Newsies at Ann Arbor.com - and AnnArbor.com has had layoffs since.

Two former News sports desk guys who moved to the Cit-Pat to do work for the Cit-Pat and AnnArbor.com's print edition were among those let go.

For those two new Cit-Pat hires, they'll also be covering Michigan International Speedway, I presume. It's in Jackson County.

9. David Panian

David Panian New Member

MIS is almost entirely in Lenawee County. Its right on the county line. Some of the northern grandstands and all of the parking lots on the north end are in Jackson County, but the track, the press box, garages, almost all of the stands, etc. are in Lenawee. MIS is the largest taxpayer in Lenawee County. The dateline ends up being Brooklyn, which is in Jackson County, because of the mailing address.

Sorry, that's a sore point with us at my paper, which covers Lenawee County. And, to be fair, until I moved here I thought MIS was in Jackson County, too, because of the Brooklyn dateline.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I sit corrected.

It's just like when people say that the Lions train in Allen Park. Of the 18 acres, four are in Allen Park. Fourteen are in Dearborn.

11. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

Don't assume MIS will be part of the coverage duties. As I understand it, the paper does not want its writers to cover anything they can get off the wire. So, MIS, Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons, UM, MSU will all be off-limits. This is going to be preps only, as the ad states, but I'm sure community sports such as rec as stuff also will be included. No phones, lots of writing, but nothing on a large scale. At least that's how I understand it. Things could change.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Well, that's a chance to compile a lot of clips. You can find a good story anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted