1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online outlets like Yardbarker, Fansided etc

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by sportsnut, Oct 25, 2012.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I wanted to see what you guys thought of networks like Yardbarker, fansided.com, SBNation.com etc. I know some pay you for your time by getting a cut of advertising etc. But what does PR people thing of the sites and if they get credentials or are worth anything on your resume?

Do you get any real reporting or is it just all fan created opinion content?

2. krmcguire

krmcguire New Member

It really depends on the site. Some sites on the different networks are more concerned about page views and quick viral stories, while others are more invested in accurate and detailed reporting. Some sites manage to blend the two categories in to one voice.

As for resume purposes, I would think any site in which you take on a lead or editorial role or receive credentialed access is fair game. Experience is experience. Once you have a credential wrapped around your neck you are in the same boat as the print media and TV media etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted