1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online jobs: finding them

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SportsScribe5, May 15, 2007.

1. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

Legitimate question here: The job boards on sites like this and APSE are usually print newspaper jobs. But everyday it seems like the biz is going more and more towards Internet stuff. You look at the expansion of sites like Yahoo! Sports and the ongoing efforts to revitalize the sites at CNNSI and Fox Sports, etc. My question is: where do companies like this post job openings? As someone whose college education and first 9 years of professional life was geared almost exclusively in newspapers, does anyone have good advice on how to get moving toward the Internet and how to make contacts at a lot of these places?

2. You don't find jobs at big sites like Yahoo or Fox, they find you. Or so that's been my experience.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I always check journalismjobs.com and journalismnext.com and they have online job boards and even telecomute jobs so you can do stuff from your city.

But be careful about online jobs because they have sites like allheadlinenews.com and World Voice News etc that are more pr posts then real work and sometimes they don't even respond.

Regarding Yahoo and Fox Sports you could check out the site to see if they have something available but normaly they find people that know people already. Plus FOX Sports can take from inside the company. Like NY Post, Fox Sports Net and other assets owned by NewsCorp.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Also depends if you are talking about writing or producing (editing). Writing gigs ... good luck. Producing/editing is a different story, with posts on places like journalismjobs.com.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I recently found some producing jobs advertised on Careerbuilder. I believe NBCOlympics advertises there. USA Today also has openings there, as well as on its own site.

I'm interested in crossing (back) over to the dot-com side, but apparently I don't understand how a converged newsroom works in the real world. The web-side editors I've talked to seem to think it's not possible for one person to write, edit, take photos, record audio and video, and post the whole shebang... except that I've seen it done -- and done nearly all of the above myself. :mad:

Apologies for the threadjack...

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

If you go to most sports web sites and look at the bottom of the pages, you can often find a "jobs" or "careers" link. I've seen a lot of listings on those internal career pages. ESPN has a really extensive one.

7. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

You are absolutely right. My experience has been that the Web side folks are mainly interested in techies who can shovel the stuff on to the Web much more than they are interested in folks who can create content and put it up.

Yes, there are exceptions. But a lot of places it seems the economics (or lack thereof) of the Web preclude spending for online talent.

The other disturbing trend is towards the use of "amateur" bloggers for content.

Not saying folks who are trained and experienced as journalists are the only ones who can practice journalism. But there is a lot to be said for experience and training in any field, not to mention understanding the ethics involved in journalism.

As for trying to find jobs online, journalism jobs.com has a link on the home page that allows you to filter for just online type postings. But unless you are willing to spend the bulk of your time as a recruitnik for Rivals or Scout, there are not a lot of writing jobs with Web sites.

That will change, but as it does, so to will the skill set needed. Then folks like Paper Doll, who have the ability to do multimedia reporting, will be more in demand.

Of course I said that when I took my first online job in 1997, moving from an SE job to a Wed Editor spot so I could develop the skills of the future. Ten years later, I am still waiting for somebody to be willing to pay more for those skills than print does.

8. NickiJh

NickiJh New Member

try ed2010.com

Draft saved Draft deleted