1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online fantasy leagues for cash, wtf?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Sep 23, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, someone answer this for me -- I can't legally bet a nickel on a football game against the spread on my computer, but I could drop hundreds into FanDuel or Draft Kings on what amounts to a fantasy football lottery? I have zero desire to play as I can't stand fantasy, but with the endless commercials for these joints on sports radio and elsewhere, I'm wondering how the hell this is legal.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is Bovada not allowed on your state?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I honestly don't know. I still thought online sports betting was illegal in the majority of states.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Technically it might be. But Bovada does send checks. The instructions they give you on how to deposit the check(s) is amusing. They've always cleared though.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's a joke.
    I have no trouble playing online poker, but it bothers me that it is still illegal.

There is much more skill involved in poker and much more chance in fantasy sports.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree that there is skill involved in poker, for sure. But I don't know that there's more involved with poker than fantasy sports. I would guess they are about equal.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Right. I think if you know more than your opponents, it helps, but a lot depends on the cards you get or the players you draft.

9. Sports books and online sports betting should be legal everywhere. Enough already.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not saying fantasy sports is completely random. Knowing more than your opponents is a huge boost to chances of winning.
    But you still control less than you do in poker, where you can bail out at anytime after the ante. When you know you're beat, you can stop playing the hand.
    You can be tight or loose. You can set traps for later hands.
    This list of skills and tactics you can develop is too long to list.

In fantasy sports, if your best player is out there is only so much you can do.
    There are more factors out of your control.

Maybe my opinion is colored by the fact that I'm a decent poker player and a terrible fantasy sports player.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To me, that's like getting a bad hand.

Fantasy sports, played right, require a ton of know-how. And, even then, you might lose because, like you said, luck. Like poker. Nate Silver writes in his book "The Signal and the Noise" that it takes some ungodly number of hands before someone can truly know whether he's actually good at poker or just lucky or unlucky.

The one-day fantasy sites - we had a thread on them once - assign a dollar value to every player. Then you have a salary cap, and have to pick your team for the day based upon that. It takes a lot of work to find the value. Too much work for me, that's for sure.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

but i can muck a bad hand

Draft saved Draft deleted