1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online comments: racist, idiotic completely useless...and bad for journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

You're basically asking "who watches the watchers" and the answer is: you. The way I've done it is to empower the folks who keep emailing me when trolls and annoying people appear; they obviously care. I guess the tricky part is getting someone to care. It's a lot easier when you start off small and your community naturally likes you because you are the underdog. But AA.com is starting off not small and putting a lot of effort into their comments section; the payoff is immediately obvious:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/cyclist-struck-by-car/

There's a number of complaints from people who are getting struck down for offtopic or stupid comments... in the midst of a useful, interesting, value-add comment thread. Eventually they should be able to let volunteers shoulder much of the moderation load, at which point the comments become a reason to come to the site and a generator of free pageviews.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

All true. But try to get a huge corporation like Gannett to do this. Not gonna' happen. They are stuck in their old ways.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The examples cited here show that running a comments board can indeed be a worthwhile service by the paper's Web site-if said paper puts effort into doing it. Otherwise, it's just trashing your own brand-with no reward for selling out.

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

No and no.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

good call michael.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Agreed. For the amount of resources we have for our Web site, I think having my phone number and e-mail on every article is as interactive as my 15K should be. If we had, say, an actual online department and not just another chore for copy editors, then we should explore our options.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Our paper's comments section is a study of the human condition in all of its worst forms.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

More and more I've come to think newspapers have spent a lot of time and energy (but perhaps not intelligent thought) trying to become something they are not, and in the end they will have become something they don't want to be.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Does anybody really understand why this is? I'd love to hear a good reason.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Ok, that works.
    I'm still not sure I understand why, though ... I'm a fairly normal person and I don't feel any need to write stupid, hateful crap, other than what I can work into my beat coverage, of course.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's the same people wave like idiots when they are on TV for a nanosecond - they want the attention. And in the end they all look like fools. (I am all for commenting on stories, however - at least in theory.)

Draft saved Draft deleted