1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ongoing Grantland issues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I saw something that ESPN reaffirmed its support for 538, which is great for the folks that work there. But I can't remember a single memorable piece I've read on there. It'll have election pieces yeah. But if any site could be shut down by ESPN, seems like that one could be while keeping Grantland (I realize there are a thousand variables with each site that would play into this). But it also seems I've hardly read anything about 538 from outsiders, whether here or elsewhere online, good or bad. Alma, I think a lot of your critiques of Grantland have been pretty accurate, but (and maybe I've just missed it) I haven't seen any of that type lasered focus brought to something like 538. Seems that part of your criticism about it has had as much to do with the personality of its founder and the personalities of writers in general (which I agree with) than the actual content, although I know you've critiqued certain specific pieces as well. I'd disagree with the hipster buffet part. It seems like just a fancy way of saying general interest but in a disparaging way. There was a lot there, yeah, but I don't see that as a weakness.

Of course I'm sad for the people who lost their jobs (even though many will be folded into main site). And as a writer it's sad to see an outlet go. But I'm going to miss the actual stories. Not the politics or inside baseball or Twitter wars or chatter about longform. The stories. Lowe's NBA pieces, Curtis's media pieces, Morris's reviews, Pierce's rants, Sharp's satirical columns, Conn's features, Concepcion's inspired madness, Rembert, Phillips on everything, and so much more. I just liked visiting each day and knowing there were going to be two or three stories I really enjoyed. That's the main reason it's a sad time for me, at least. I'll miss the food, if you will. And I just think a lot of the criticism of Grantland has missed that fact about its readers or fans.

KVV33 and Iron_chet like this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree. Love her college football stuff, but this Twitter tirade (or every Twitter tirade) comes off as petty and unnecessary.

I was actually looking for her weekly college football viewing guides yesterday because it usually has a few gems in it. Couldn't find it. I'm guessing today's announcement is probably why.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought Emotionally Stunted came on between First Take and Around the Horn.

Anyway, sad to see it go (admittedly I enjoy a good hipster buffet). It was interesting the reaction it drew from folks. The palace intrigue was usually something a certain segment of folks drank up. It always found a way to get its own spotlight (no one cares about off-color Twitter exchanges from a CBS blogger).

It gave oddball but talented writers a larger stage than they'd received elsewhere, even when they were doing similar things for legacy outlets. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, Miller did that until a recent piece for Vanity Fair when a bunch of ESPNrs finally got pissed off and ripped Simmons the new one he deserved.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Because I'm a glutton for idiocy, I went and checked out Deadspin.

The site, that in my estimation, has spewed the most hate towards Grantland and Simmons in general and they're falling all over themselves to let the interwebs know how much they hate this news.

And, I suppose, they do but is a little weird. I guess it is all fun and games until people lose their jobs, then they realize it isn't fun and games.

Also interesting that ESPN recently hired away Washington Post's managing editor to run the black Grantland, but are shuttering the white/hipster Grantland.

Strange confluence.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Screw it. Good for her.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I don't think they were trying to tear the thing down. You sling at goliath because part of a contrarian schtick is doing that. Deadspin and Grantland are more alike than not, and while you might hurl barbs at someone, its probably not because you want them dead and gone. (Hell, folks here have a mix of tisking the petulant attitudes of some of the writers and enjoying their foresight it would fail, but I doubt anyone is thinking, its great those folks need to find new jobs)

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think Deadspin hated Simmons or Grantland at all. I suspect Grantlanders were often some of their best sources, in fact. Simmons included.

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Deadspin always took the stance that Simmons was, to all accounts from sources, a top-notch manager/boss for Grantland. Deadspin usually ran wild criticizing Simmons' individual writing and podcasting.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't know a single person who isn't or wasn't a journalist who read Grantland. Obviously, such people are out there, but I don't think the average sports fan/ESPN follower cared much about the site. Like Alma said, it was a place that catered to a small, unique group. That's not sustainable.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Deadspin licks its finger, holds it up and writes accordingly.

TyWebb likes this.
  12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

***small sample size alert***

I have never been a journalist and at least me and 2 buddies regularily shot the shit over e-mail and would mention Grantland pieces that we read. FWIW All of us are office jockeys in differing levels of management.

Draft saved Draft deleted