1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ongoing celestial show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Depending on where you are and how clear the sky is right now, if you look west/southwest, you'll see a crescent moon and two bright dots, one below and one to the right. That's the moon, Venus and Jupiter, and you won't see it again that way until 2052.

Sorry for those with cloud cover. Midwest and, right now, Florida, you can see it really well. Pretty spectacular.

Carry on.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Saw two really bright stars next to the moon last night, even with all the fog we had on the coast. Couldn't figure out what they were, but that sounds about right. Very cool.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It was awesome, cause it looked like a smiley face :) Got lots of pictures.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

And it's only through tonight, I've read. Moon moves away in relation after this...so a pretty cool deal.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I saw that last night. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight. Pretty cool.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Wow, looked up tonight and it's inverted from what it was last night, looks like a frowney face tonight

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll try to look for it when I go out for dinner in a couple hours. I'll keep my fingers crossed I can see it.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I saw this Saturday night but for some reason no moon. But you could see the others really well. It's been pretty cloudy here all day today so I doubt I'll be able to see it.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, the three of them together is the unusual aspect tonight. And the fact it's a crescent moon means the moon's brightness doesn't take away from the planets. That's what makes the total effect so cool.

We saw the shuttle take off a couple of weeks ago from way down here in South Florida, a couple of hundred miles away (you can see night launches) so a pretty good couple of weeks for celestial effects.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Saw it last night in SoCal, where it's been Santa Ana-ish the past couple of days I've been here and it was very cool.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Thanks for pointing that out. Could see it perfectly here in southern Alberta.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It looks really cool here in Texas.

I noticed the planets a couple of days ago and wondered what they were. The sun had barely gone down, yet I could see two "stars" and wondered why they were so bright. Obviously, it was the planets I was seeing.

Draft saved Draft deleted