1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-year tier of worst booth ever continues collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DyePack, Nov 3, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope. I liked Dierdorf too... was better than OJ was...

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I felt as if the hand of God touched me when Mike Ditka was doing color.

He was the James Stockdale of analysts.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Come on, people on here rip Berman incessantly because of his insufferable schtick. So, on the other hand, you get a solid professional who has no catchphrases, but DOES manage to speak up only when there's a big play, basically letting the action do the work for him, and you want to call him generic? That's not fair.

And if anybody else wants to make a "Tirico or Nessler, flip a coin" type of comment, just take a drink Monday night every time Tirico begins a sentence with "Aaaaand..." It's an annoying twitch and once you notice it, you can't STOP noticing it. As a play-by-play guy, he's just not enjoyable to hear.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a fair point on Nessler. But he bores me to tears. What can I say?

There's got to be a middle ground between not being the story of the game and being a complete non-factor. Like Don Criqui, for instance.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're right -- Don Criqui is a complete non-factor. He's induced me into many comatose states since 1978.

What a career, calling grade-Z NFL games for four decades (I know, I know, he was NBC's No. 2 for a little while).

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah he never had a high profile but I always found him enjoyable.

He was no Charlie Jones, but who was?

7. Because what you've proposed -- the law firm of Boring, Arcane, and Past It -- isn't the best football booth, period.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Just out of curiousity, did you watch the San Diego-Oakland Monday nighter to start the season?

9. Nope. I liked Dierdorf too... was better than OJ was...
    [/quote]

No way. O.J. was solid. His knife He was sharp and he cut straight to the throat point.

10. XXXX

XXXX Member

did anyone hear theismann say "i want huge head" last night as tony was giving out the "Tony awards" for best costume design and the winner was last weeks halloween race with the big heads on the commentators.
    you gotta hand it to joe he is ALWAYS stating the obvious.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I despise the current lineup, but I need to see less Jaws, not more. Hate him. HATE him.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Aside from his Eagle chauvinism. Jaw is an awesome strategic analyst.

Theeeeesman should be shot at dawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted