1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-year tier of worst booth ever continues collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DyePack, Nov 3, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The problem with NJV is they aren't spectacular, they aren't hip, they don't cater to fantasy teams... they just do a solid job... ESPN couldn't handle it.
    And no, anything with Bonnie Bernstein isn't gold, but she's much better than Michelle "Didn't mean to spill my beer on you" Tafoya in several ways

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Howard Cosell, for all of his faults and attitude, said something that I think is appropriate to this situation.

His Cosellness said that Monday night, when it was on ABC, was different because it is a prime-time show and that what might work on a Sunday telecast might not go over on Monday night. I think that is true in the sense that you need somebody who can appeal to a broader audience. It might not be as true on ESPN, but it still is the only national NFL broadcast on Monday night. I think the production on NBC runs rings around ESPN in terms of camera shots and the video which gets on the screen.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Belichick fired back by listing Matt Cassel as probably (right shoulder).

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm apparently one of the few who thinks Dierdorf is one of the best. I've said it before, I know, but Enberg and Dierdorf was a great team. Then again, I liked Dennis Miller.

How about some of the NFL worst. Johnny Unitas comes to mind first and foremost. Was awful in part of a season on CBS back in the 1970s. Fred Williamson got on Cosell's shit list, true, but he didn't add a thing to MNF. Terry Bradshaw was awful in the booth for a couple of seasons till he came around. Joel Meyers puts me to sleep on play by play. Siragusa? Not so hot now, but he has Bradshaw niche potential.

5. KP

KP Active Member

[​IMG]

Beasley Reese dropping by.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Hey, Unitas wasn't all that bad when he was doing the California Atoms' games in the 1970s with the ol' Pepperpot. Right? Riiiiiight!

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Please. Gifford was a tool . . . and always will be a tool.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tom Brady has been on the Pats' injury list every week for three seasons. I think it began in 2003 when the team had an amazing string of injuries, and didn't put Brady on the list even though his right arm looked like he'd suffered an allergic reaction to a bee sting. The league pissed Belichick off, so this was his response.
    By now, I think it's just tradition/superstition. Since Brady's injury apparently hasn't healed in three years, techinically spealing, he should be dead.

9. By all means, give me Brad (I'm so generic you can spread me on toast) Nessler, Game Films Jaworski and a retread. That's destination viewing.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Jaworski

Vermeil

Tirico or Nessler

sidelines

dig up Adrian Karsten

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You'd prefer Mike "I'd rather be doing golf" Tirico, Joe "I have no shame about being inconsistent, even within a game, because I love the sound of my own voice" Theismann and Tony "I'm just here for comic relief, but I'm not bringing the funny" Kornheiser?

The game is destination viewing. If MNF had the Colts-Pats game this week, they would bust every cable ratings record, even if you, me and the Boom Goes the Dynamite kid were in the booth. Give MNF a San Fran-Arizona matchup and the ratings would go way down even if Gifford/Cosell/Meredith were in the booth. Since the only thing that determines ratings is the quality of the matchup, why not find the best football booth, period?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a perfect description.

Draft saved Draft deleted