1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Year Later and things are okay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by highlander, Jun 26, 2010.

1. highlander

highlander Member

A year ago at this time, I had just been let go from a job I held for 15 years.

Looking back it is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Other than missing the more than four weeks of vacation time I had at the old place, I knew in my heart that job was slowly killing me. They just wanted too much work from people, way too much, and didn't care about you at all as a person.

At my new place, people are nice, they actually read your stories and give you praise or criticism, something that never happened at the old job.

Plus, I'm really looking forward to high school sports getting started again, because I have things figured out logistics wise. It actually should be fun.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that although things looked bleak a year ago, things don't look so bleak now.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Highlander: Good for you! It's great to know you not only landed on your feet, but are thriving.

Props to you. I admire your attitude.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Happy for you, but you are a notable exception.

4. highlander

highlander Member

Not saying I love the job, just feel a little more mentally fresh, not drained all the time. No more working until 3 a.m. driving 40 minutes home then back in the office at 9 a.m.

5. CR19

CR19 Member

I think you mean a.m for what time you worked until. I'd think a 3 p.m. quitting time would be great. Anyway, I'm glad to see that you can enjoy writing in a better office. Congrats, and enjoy your new gig.

6. highlander

highlander Member

Yep I meant 3 a.m. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. would be great.

Draft saved Draft deleted