1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One writer's very personal story of fighting the good fight...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Nov 4, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...will send chills through you at the end.

David Walsh, his dead son, and Lance Armstrong.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Magazine/Features/article1155948.ece?shareToken=8352496d7274981e34603b3de48c9c41#prev

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. TigerVols

No shit? Hmmm

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Man, isn't that just a picture of journalism in the 21st century. That's a story I'd love to read. But not enough to sign up. And by now we've all been conditioned to expect not to pay.

I don't know if the answer is a flat fee through the ISP or a flexcard account that charges by the story or what the answer is. But this is a great example of the question.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Pay walls mean nothing.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/112091831/Lance-The-Lies-and-Me

6. TigerVols

Ha, just coming here to post that. Thanks!

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Thanks for posting.

Please keep such stories coming. I find these "Lance Armstrong Disgraced!!" stories quite delightfully satisfying.

8. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I found it interesting, but expected more on angle of his son passing and how it interconnected everything. Maybe not expected; maybe wanted more on that aspect. My opinion of Lance dropped a lot.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's your opinion of certain journalists that should drop. Armstrong was consistently precisely who he was. He was enabled. And I fear it's because of his work raising money for cancer, which is a little like suggesting the NFL shouldn't address head injury issues in its league because it raises so much awareness for breast cancer.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I for one can't wait for Rupert Murdoch's News International to take the claws out on Lance Armstrong, now that the truth is there for all to see, even by British Libel solicitors.

Gidal, I'm not quite sure what Alma is referencing when he says your opinion should drop regarding certain journalists, but I sure hope he doesn't mean David Walsh. He, Betsy and Emma are on the side of angels here.
    Many of us on these shores ought to be ashamed for pumping up the Lance myth without doing much home work -- hi -- and a few on these shores ought to be mortified for their role in making the myth when it appears they knew the dirty truth.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a *hammer* at the end.

Fuck Lance Armstrong.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't mean Walsh at all.

I do mean many of the American journalists who ignored the evidence or shrugged their shoulders and said "meh, everybody's doing it." That's the new thing: Everybody's corrupt, so change the definition of corruption, and call that intelligence.

Draft saved Draft deleted