1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One way to stop bullying....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 15, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/859436.html

Grade 9 kid in Nova Scotia gets bullied for wearing a pink shirt on the the first day of school so two grade 12 kids get other students to wear pink as a sign of solidarity.

Because of the boy’s efforts, half of the school’s 830 students wore pink on a day of support for the bullied boy, whose name has not been released for privacy reasons.

Since then, "the response of the school community has just been enormous," Travis said. "It makes me feel like we’ve done a really good thing."

"I’ve talked more in the past couple of days than I have in my whole life," Travis said.

Nice story. Good to see the bullies lost this one.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Our publication is currently working on part of our issue on bullying. This story is going to be covered in there. I will post up link when it's done.

Not all cases end up with bullies getting egg on their face, but it is so nice that this case showed how their bullying backfired and actually motivated the school community to send a positive message from a terrible incident.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for those seniors...

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Nice job. You never know how one little thing you do can be life-changing for someone else.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, you know what?

It's like some kid might say, "Hey, I don't have to take this crap from these guys".

Those kids were pretty cool about it as well.

"Well, if I'm on Oprah, my mom will have to come".

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

Do we have internet bullies here?

I'm not handing over my lunch money.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

True story: When I began my freshman in high school, I was was the stereotypical dork -- braces, glasses and in band. The only thing that separated me from the pack was my athletic ability (I played school baseball and football and basketball for fun).

Well, I was having a hard time adjusting to high school, and this one douchebag, who had a beef with my dad -- our band teacher -- so he took it out on me for the first week. These two other seniors saw everything that was happening and came over to me and quietly said, "Don't worry. We'll take care of him." From that point on, they made sure the bag left me alone. Not only did I make a pair of friends, but they put my mind at ease and gave me a whole lot of confidence.

It really is amazing what small gestures can do.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Hand over your watch or ipod (if it's worth money)

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I thought this was a get rid of Boots thread.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That aint happening with penicillin or baseball bat

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You Canadians are such beautiful human beings. What next - a protest to stop smashing baby seals with bats.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They don't want lunch money but they try to tell you you can't be a conservative.

Draft saved Draft deleted