1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-time-use photo purchasing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Sep 17, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't even know if this is the right board, but figured I'd try to save it from its impending death. :)

I am trying to purchase some very large art. The woman doesn't print art that large, so I'd need to buy the picture from her, then send it to a canvas printing shop to have it made to the size I want.

Neither of us want to screw the other. I don't want the rights to the photo. I'd delete it as soon as I sent it to the shop.

Are there legal issues here? Can we do it based just on a handshake and some trust? Anyone know?

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Artists and photographers will have a "do not disseminate" form.
    If you do, there are legal issues. Or, you can have her send it directly to the printer. Then, it's their bad if anything happens.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Either that or a release from her authorizing the shop of your choosing to put it on canvas.
    I mean, you wouldn't want some shady, back-alley shop handling it. You never know what you'll get.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

IJAG, that can of Fresca is a total choad.

Draft saved Draft deleted