1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One thing wrestlers can't handle: cooties

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bumpy mcgee, Feb 17, 2011.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Small correction, Smash. You have to graduate from high school to be able to compete in an NCAA sport.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Homeschool kids have to be held to the same standards as attending kids. The parents have to report to the school district and prove they are keeping up the standards.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The co-ops are not even a big deal. Haven't heard of a single complaint.

As for your assumption that kids opt out of all school programs because they don't attend that school during learning hours, that's making it more black and white than public schools have ever been.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

True. But you also can't be a part-time student (at least IIRC, don't you have to be enrolled in at least 12 hours)?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I was just pointing out that your example ("Kids who are taking classes at a local college during high school aren't eligible to compete on those university's teams for similar reasons. You have to meet the NCAA's minimum number of enrolled hours.") was a tad erroneous given the absolute need for someone to be a high school graduate first.

And yes, NCAA athletes must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours at all times.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, they don't in all instances. If they are less than 12 hours away from graduation, they do not need to take 12 hours. Matt Leinart took three hours of class his final semester at USC to fulfill his graduation requirement.

I'm not sure what the required number of class hours is for graduate students who already have their undergrad degrees but still have a year of eligibility remaining, such as Jeremiah Masoli this year at Ole Miss.

Of course, no matter how many hours they take, they do actually have to be enrolled and attend class at the school they wish to play for.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How anybody can compare high school to college with a straight face is beyond me.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think this is a great point. My wife coached JV volleyball at her last school and had some eighth-graders try out (still in middle school in our state). She could have kept them, but to do so, she would have had to keep every high school student that tried out.

Seems like the same principle applies here. Take the home-schooled kid, fine, but you can't cut any students in order to do so.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

FWIW, I agree with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted