1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One thing wrestlers can't handle: cooties

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bumpy mcgee, Feb 17, 2011.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

A gentleman, a sexist, what say ye?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_17413528?nclick_check=1

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"home-schooled"

Read no more.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He could've used a "butt drag" with two fingers.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He clearly believes that wrestling is sexual. He is obviously in support of gay marriage.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What a bunch of crap. He was afraid of getting beat. We have a girl wrestling for our local high school that I cover and I don't think any of the male athletes she has to face have defaulted to avoid her.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Why are people fucking judging the kid? The kid and his family should be applauded for sticking to his beliefs. And you guys are ridiculing him? His explanation was absolutely perfect. He showed a level of a maturity and selflessness that is in short supply these days.

By the way, he wasn't afraid of losing. I have to wonder whether anyone who thinks so actually read the story. He was 35-4. She was 20-13.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can we get a running "Wrestling is the Stupidest Sport Ever" thread?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Absolutely. He was entitled to his opinion that it is too violent for him to wrestle a woman. Right or wrong, that is his opinion and he handled his decision with class. I won't judge him for that.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You're just pissed because we don't get many teacher sex cases with home-school kids

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

We're judging him because his explanation is shallow, stupid and sexist. That's not mature or selfless - it's immature and selfish. There's an incredibly large difference in violence against women and taking part in a refereed wrestling match against a woman, and to try and compare the two in any way is a "look at me!" move.

Do I think he was afraid of losing? Probably not. But it's also not something to be applauded just like other decisions made based on religion and conscience aren't always something to be applauded if the underlying logic is so misguided.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

And I assume you are the arbiter on what is and isn't misguided?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yet the parents want the benefits of being on a school team ... hope the school district is sending them a bill for the coach's time, trainer's time, ect.

Draft saved Draft deleted