1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One step further than funeral selfies?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Still don't understand. Are you saying "policy implications"
    on part of Twitter that allows someone to tweet about
    their pending death?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If people want to take "uninformed" or "ineffective" actions to extend their lives, it's none of yours or Keller's business.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the medical -- and political, and media -- establishment want the general public to accept the fact that fighting to the end isn't worth the cost, or the trouble.

We should prepare to die, instead of fighting against the odds.

Yet, when Ted Kennedy, or other elites, face death, they don't accept it with grace, they fight it like crazy to the end.

It's instinct. And, one shouldn't lecture to others about how they should accept death, unless they know how they would deal with it. And, they don't know.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is my business. We all pay for it. And it's my business because I'm a human being invested in the diminishment of human suffering.

It's a health policy issue, and a big one, and is legitimately addressed as such.

5. MisterCreosote

"Here's another bunch of macho asshole bullshit floating around this country. People talking about, 'Aw pull the plug on me. If I'm ever like that. If I'm comatosed. If I'm like a vegetable. Pull the plug on me.'

"Fuck you, leave my plug alone! Get an extension cord for my plug! I want everything you got, tubes, cords, plugs, probes, electrodes, IVs. You got something, stick it in me man! You find out I got a hole I didn't know I had, put a fuckin plug in it!

"Vegetable? I don't care if I look like an artichoke. Save my ass!"

[​IMG]

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bill Keller's column was fairly reasonable.

Emma Keller's column (which of course begat Bill's) is a horrible piece of garbage from a self-indulgent, entitled asshole. Nobody gives a shit how you feel about someone else's cancer.

7. Boom_70

OK now I understand what you meant by "policy implications" . Essentially Keller
    is using Adams story to support his agenda. Lisa Adams is now part of the narrative.

8. MisterCreosote

Does this just about sum things up?

"The piece was an amazing exhibit of journalism gone awry, in which the logic of a piece got away from its author. Emma did not like what reading about Lisa made her feel, so she determined that this must mean that there is something improper about what Lisa writes. Her thinking was so muddled that she invaded Lisa's privacy using direct messages -- the only form of messaging on Twitter that is, in fact, private, and must be opted into by both parties -- to ground a public article questioning the ethics of what she considers to be Lisa's violation of her own privacy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lacy-crawford/what-the-kellers-forgot-to-say-about-lisa-adams-and-cancer_b_4590941.html?utm_hp_ref=media&ir=Media

9. Boom_70

Lisa Adams had the wrong disease to be anointed by folks of the Keller's
    ilk. If she had been tweeting about dying of HIV from a hut in Malawi,
    it's likely that her courage would have been celebrated and she would have
    been invited to attend the Correspondence dinner as guests of The Keller's.

10. YankeeFan

When a "great man" fights an impossible fight against death, it's courageous:

Barack Obama on Teddy Kennedy: Since Teddy's diagnosis last year we've saw the courage with which he battled his illness.

John Kerry on Teddy Kennedy: He faced the last challenge of his life with the same grace, courage, and determination with which he fought for the causes and principles he held so dear. He taught us how to fight, how to laugh...

Nancy Pelosi on Teddy Kennedy: Sadly, Senator Kennedy left us exactly one year after he inspired the nation with his speech of optimism, vitality, and courage at the Convention in Denver.

But, if you're a nobody, you're selfish if you want to fight to the end. And, don't you dare chronicle it.

11. YankeeFan

And, the media loved it when Scott Simon live tweeted his mother's death. It "touched the hearts of millions" and "transformed his mother's pain into poetry". No one accused him of TMI.

NPR host Scott Simon touched the hearts of millions this week by tweeting messages of love for his mother during her final days. Some thought the experience too personal to share on Twitter, but many more were moved by the tribute to his mom before she passed away last Monday at the age of 84. In an interview for “This Week,” Simon explained it as a way of “honoring her.”

“I just thought there was something in there that needed to be shared,” Simon told ABC News’ Martha Raddatz. “I would sit there at her bedside, I would hold her hand, things would occur to me. And it was also a way of me taking notes. It was also a way of me keeping this experience.”

“Dying is really the one universal experience. It’s something we’re all going to have,” added Simon, host of NPR’s Weekend Edition Saturday.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/08/nprs-scott-simon-tweets-mothers-last-great-performance/

The fact that Simon's tweets have gone viral say as much about life and technology in the 21st century as they do about his ability to transform his mother's pain into poetry.

www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-0730-scott-simon-mom-20130730-dto,0,5644002.htmlstory#ixzz2qOP5Mw00

But, this poor woman over shared.

12. Boom_70

"policy implications"

Draft saved Draft deleted