1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"One Shining Moment" gets another new singer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Agree.

2. Used to love it. It's lost something every time they've switched vocalists, and I'm a big fan of both Luther Vandross and Teddy Pendergrass. Leave the American Idol bullshit out of it.

(According to Wikipedia, it was the last song Luther recorded before his stroke and eventual death.)

I like the piano solo too. It's cheesy as hell, but so is the song - and so is the idea that 18-21 year olds playing a basketball game is important in the grand scheme of things... yet today is always one of my favorite days of the year.

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Why is it we keep losing the great singers while the lame producers who decide this is a good idea live on?
    Oh, and do I take Jennifer Hudson in my death pool now?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

In 2001, I remember them using an acoustic "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" for the "recovery from 9/11" portions of the D-Backs/Yanks montage. Then they went into Van Morrison's "Golden Autumn Day". It was pretty well-done and exposed me to the Morrison song.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If I ever run into Joe Zappulla at an alumni event or something, I'll pass along the feedback (yes, the gentleman who puts this piece together every year lived down the hall from me my sophomore year). He was, shall we say, one colorful character.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I believe they did one back in the late 2000's at halftime of the Final Four for a 30th anniversary of CBS doing the tourney.
    Golden Street Prelude

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's good stuff on that first video, with the Western Kentucky players storming the court then veering left together to try and catch their hero. Looks like a school of fish.
    I love most anything to do with "One Shining Moment"

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm on the opposite end. I'm so sick of "We Will Rock You", "Cotton-Eyed Joe", the Zombie dance, that "daa-daa-daa-da-da-da-da-daa-daa-daa-da-da-da-da" song, I would rather have the fucking pep band play Rocky Top all night long.

I'm in the minority when it comes to One Shining Moment. I enjoy it. The original one by David Barrett will remain my all-time favorite version, with respects to Luther, Teddy, and Jennifer Hudson. Secondly, I do want that instrumental prelude back as well. Look, not everyone likes it, but I sure as hell don't want any garbage like Adam Lambert, Lady Gaga, or T-Pain autotoning during the highlights of the tournament.

If anyone can't stand OSM, as soon as Nantz signs off, ESPN will be waiting for you.

9. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

It's sweet, soft, and gentle because it's a fond goodbye to the college basketball season -- and therefore, to those of us who love college basketball, a wistful moment. Toward that end, it strikes the perfect chord.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Golden Street Prelude gives the OSM video maximum emotional impact. The whole thing is a perfect bittersweet ending...

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No offense to anyone who likes it, but I can't for the life of me understand the popularity of this thing. If people enjoy it, great. It just stuns me every year when I'm reminded that it's A Really Big Deal.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't get it either.

Let me guess, James Ingram or some other such weak sauce captures the essence of a $450M enterprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted