1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One sentence and, boy, am I tired

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Dec 29, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There were lots of good details, but it was so long I still had trouble getting through it all.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, for god's sakes, there would be plenty of Pulitzer Prize winners who would have trouble slogging through this.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Worked for me.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

God know's I'm nowhere near that. And I really liked the way it built, and built and built.

Would the opening to Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War" from the Planets Suite be the same if you're crashing into it. The gradual building makes that a masterpiece.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mad dogs and Englishmen, I guess. :D

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really like the creativity. If you make it to the end, it pays off pretty well.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the standard of good prose: make someone work their ass off to get to the end of it.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not saying it's perfect or something I'd do every time. But I like the way this one is.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I loved his GQ piece about a year ago in which he tried to live like a man from 1957 (in honor of GQ's 50th anniversary). So it's not like I don't like his work or even don't like him trying a gimmick now and then. But this one was self-indulgent, doing it because he can.

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

That's a great example. I could listen to the Planets Suite all day.

Funny this was posted on Fischer because I just finished reading "The Day Bobby Blew It" in Best American Sportswriting of the Century. Man, he was batshit crazy. And that's why I think this long description worked. You couldn't sum up Bobby Fischer in a handful of words.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i read it twice and liked it better the second time through.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That seems to be one of the prevailing philosophies.

I lost patience very quickly with it, and when I do that, I fling it over my shoulder. This kind of writing is a torment Faulkner and Faulkner only has the right to inflict.

Draft saved Draft deleted