1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(One screwed-up movie) 2001: A Space Odyssey alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Sep 30, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Just started on Turner Classic Movies. I remember the first time I saw that movie, thinking "What the fuck is going on?" But I was so into the movie that I decided to read the book before watching the movie again.

Such a great, great movie. Ahead of its time for sure, and without it, we may have never had Star Wars.

2. The movie makes complete sense once you've read the book. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension is another flick that can leave one baffled if they have not read the book.

There's a new deluxe 2-disc DVD of 2001: A Space Odyssey coming out October 23. It will also be available in a box set with deluxe 2-disc DVDs of The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Eyes Wide Shut. Full Metal Jacket and Stanley Kubrick - A Life in Pictures will also be included in the box set. The set will also be released in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats.

One of my all-time fave filmgoing experiences was seeing a 70mm print of 2001 at an old Cinemascope theater. The perfect way to see it is on one of those ginormous Cinemascope screens.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Is that with or without chemical enhancement?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love Kubrick movies. Paths Of Glory is criminally underrated in his canon.

5. Without. I've been enhancement free for eleven years.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm a huge Kubrick fan. I have the boxed set on VHS, but I may have to get that DVD set. Eyes Wide Shut - in addition to having the greatest opening five seconds in movie history - is an underrated movie. I'd love to see the European version, which I hear went more into detail about the "party."

2001 is one of those movies I'd love to see on the big screen.

7. It's really all right, Dave...

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

HAL?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Dave ... this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Goodbye.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This quote should officially replace "End of thread" in SportsJournalists.com parlance.

Draft saved Draft deleted