1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One reason I'll remain a lapsed Catholic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, May 3, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The students want her to speak, but the Archdiocese doesn't want it. Kind of a bullshit thing, if you ask me.
    It's not like she's Terry Nichols or Eric Rudolph, but she might as well be to the Archdiocese...
    But keep sending us checks, k?!

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Christianity, including and especially Catholicism, is not on the left's long lists of things we must be tolerant of. The self-righteousness on this thread will be off the charts. I'll hang up and listen.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And pallister proves he is utterly without a clue.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The diocese has the right to bar McCaskill from speaking, which is also among the reasons why not a nickel of public money should ever go to such schools or programs that they run.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup. I'm Catholic and lean to the right. But I think that what the Archdiocese of St. Louis is doing is bullshit.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't agree with everything the church does, but I also don't buy the idea that many Catholics have lapsed because of political disagreements. Go ahead and continue trying to convince yourself that is why you're lapsed. I know many, many Catholics who are very liberal, but they still attend church. They don't use their differences as an excuse to avoid being involved in the church. Obviously, though, some do.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd always heard it as "Salad Bar Catholic," but it's the same principle.

And what I'm gathering from a brief early read of this thread is that the liberals just hate the "freedom of religion" part of the Constitution.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You said you were hanging up, but I can still hear you breathing.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think dooley just hates his religion. It's a free country.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If the archdiocese doesn't want her to speak, fine.
    But it should also expect to hear this in phone calls: "Hello, Senator? This is Biff Dick from the Archd... hello? Anyone there?"

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You think they got a lot of Biffs working in the archdiocese? Cause I don't.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How does making a post that's dead-on accurate prove cluelessness? Just asking...

Draft saved Draft deleted