1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one (plus 31)-and-done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Nov 24, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup, my 32-year career in the newspaper biz ends today. it's been a fabulous ride, fulfilling every hope i ever had about never learning what it means to really work for a living.

it's not ending in the manner i would've chosen but that is no one's fault except thr health gods. guess they felt i had had it too good for too long.

sadly for my SportsJournalists.com buds this doesn't mean my days bantering with y'all are ending as well. no such luck. it simply means i'll be opining as a bitter civilian instead of a bitter ol' hack.

how does it feel? well, the unknown is a terrifying road, especially with three boys 20 or less and the youngest still needing navigation through his last 2-and-a-half years of h.s. to navigate. but it sure will be interesting to monitor....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

shockey

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Man, that sucks to hear.

I hope you're OK. If you got 32 years out of this business you did about 18 years better than I did.

Best of luck...

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Shockey. Hope your health allows you to enjoy whatever comes next. Sorry you couldn't go out on your terms.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Good luck down the road and more importantly, take care of yourself.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn man that sucks. Lousy way to go out, I hope your health improves.

Always enjoy bantering with you, so I look forward to many more posts in which I tell you you're a dope for the mancrush on Jeter! :D

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry to hear this, but as long as you retain your solid curmudgeonly bitterness, all is not lost. :)

Obviously, best wishes on your health issues and whatever the near and distant future might bring.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good luck, Shock. From your posts, sounds like you had a helluva career in journalism. And I hope you feel better soon.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Glad, at least, that you are staying on the board. Good luck, I enjoy hearing your stories.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

will you subscribe (or continue to subscribe) to a newspaper?
    or will you rely solely on the Internet?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

All the best, man. You're an asset to this crazy place.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're leaving but glad you will be around.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Best of luck. Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted