1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of you is going to cost this kid a scholarship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by partain, Nov 18, 2009.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Wasn't that Sonny Vaccaro I saw hanging around that court the other day?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A bit too late, NW. :D

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't even think I knew what basketball was when I was 2 years old.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Clark Francis is stopping by as the Hoop Scoop rates the nation's top 10 3-year-olds.

5. partain

partain Member

We're taking team photos Saturday. Anybody want to run it?

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am going to go ahead and guess this is in Indiana. I saw a high school game last winter where, at halftime, they announce that the town third-graders are going to come out and put on an exhibition of what they have learned. Next thing I know, what had to be every third-grade boy in town was on the court.
    The home team lost that night by 31, and it might as well have been 70. Road team actually went on a 36-0 run during the first half, and the student section started telling the home kids to get their head out of their asses. So maybe the exhibition was just the coach's way of showing the supporters that help is on the way.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Slightly? A two-year old playing organized basketball in a league full of five year olds and a dad saying "he's a good shooter?"

My God - I coach a team of 12 and 13 year olds - and I've seen very few at that age who are legitimately good shooters.

And my feeling is any parent who gives me a scouting report about their kid beyond "he has asthma and can't run too many laps so be careful" or "he is diabetic and may need to eat an orange at half-time" is wrapped way too tight.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Zag, I coach fifth- and sixth-graders, and beyond the layup line I barely bother with shooting drills. A lot of kids aren't strong enough yet to shoot jumpers consistently. I figure they're better served at this age learning how to play defense, rebound and pass. Then they can hit a layup.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Shit. I had this kid as a sleeper on my 5-year-old fantasy basketball team.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You're crazy. Haven't you heard the stories from the team's beat writers? Kid throws temper tantrums all the time, you can't rely on him to play game-to-game, he's always getting grounded.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

It must suck having to burn a timeout to change a diaper.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Norman Dale would like a word with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted