1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of you is going to cost this kid a scholarship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by partain, Nov 18, 2009.

1. partain

partain Member

golfnut, Some weeks are better than others. And it often takes me and two or three parents to keep them going the right direction.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No.

Take out the word "slightly" and then I will agree with you.

A two year old "moving up" to play against 5 year-olds. For F's sake...

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rumor has it he'll be playing in Europe by age 5 until he enters the NBA Draft.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Calipari has sent him a recruiting letter already, and he'll be on the cover of SI next fall.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you're doing it as a way to burn some of your child's energy in an activity that he or she seems to enjoy, then no.

If you're doing it because you want your child to learn hard lessons about winning and losing and/or it's step No. 1 on your grand plan for your kid to be in the NBA, then yes.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

That's awesome!

By the way, where is mom in all this. Surely, she can't think it's a good idea for her 3 year old to be running around with kids that much older? Although, the kid may have older siblings, so she doesn't think it's a big deal.

And, partain, way to give up some of your time for the kids. For some of them, it may be the only time they get to play.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Walter Gretzky thinks the father of the 2 year old is a pussy.

8. partain

partain Member

The mom apparently was ticked at the first game when she saw her baby nearly get killed by kids twice his size. His first game with the 5 year olds ended and five minutes later the league director was moving him down to my team. So there's no doubt the mom stepped in on this one.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

On a serious note, one of the more successful HS basketball coaches here gave a clinic and he said one of the major problems over the past 20 years has been too many games and not enough 1 on 1, 2 on 2, etc. playground playing.

This is just a continuation of that, sad.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think full stats need to be kept for this league and if little Johnny can't shoot at least 50%, he needs to ride the bench.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

So how long before the mom of one of these kids sends a "why don't we get any coverage" email to the local sports editor? I mean, c'mon -- these 3 year olds work just as hard as the varsity kids. How about you run a team photo and roster?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Partain, does John Calipari have you on speed dial? I mean, this kid can't be more than about two weeks from a sholarship offer, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted