1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of those car buying threads (FINAL DECISION MADE)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tmayforth, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

Reviews are good ... that's nice. But that says NOTHING about their long-term track record or durability.

The Contour got strong reviews a decade ago. Didn't last ... and people went for Accord and Camry. Until the Fusion continues to get strong reviews in addition to showing that Ford will build a stout vehicle that's good for the long haul, no sale. Not even close.

Buick tried to mount an advertising campaign on initial quality. Neither Tiger Woods nor a skewed advertising campaign could make people flock to Buick showrooms.

2. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

2much: I test drove a 2008 Mazda6 Grand Touring the other day and I loved how it drove. It was a V6, but I assume most 6s drive similarly.

Mustang: I checked out the ads for the local Mazda dealers and they are offering 2009 Mazda6s for $16,976 or 0.9% APR, $1000 back and no payments for 90 days. The local Ford dealership is offering 2009 Fusions for $15,995.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Honda ergonomics certainly beat Toyota, F_T. Smart move and interesting tiebreaker. And I completely agree with the last graph, obviously ... I'd take Honda over Toyota (almost six-year owner of a Honda product ... money very well spent) but Toyota over Mazda in a landslide.

The bold question 2MCM had is a good one. And the test drive, especially if you can do so with the actual unit one is buying, is critical.

But road noise? Freaking road noise? 2MCM, you're much better than this. If the vehicle thoroughly beats another in a head-to-head competition except for road noise, buy replacement tires. Handling in a Camry isn't incredible, but in a few I drove when I worked in automotive rental and a friend's Camry some years later, it wasn't anything worth hammering.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Grand Touring's are nice... $27,000 though. That's well out of my price range.

5. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Yeah, it had 21K miles on it though and it knocked down to $19,995, which is well beyond mine as well.

I checked out the ads for the local Mazda dealers and they are offering 2009 Mazda6s for $16,976 or 0.9% APR, $1000 back and no payments for 90 days. The local Ford dealership is offering 2009 Fusions for $15,995.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Huh.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Although it's on its last legs, our '94 Toyota Camry has been a workhorse. It's a six cylindeer and it cruises easily at 130 kph (80 mph). Not one serious problem in 320,000 kilometres 195,00 or so miles)

And I've never noticed a lot of road noise.

It's a dull car but man, the most dependable of the ten or more cars I've owned.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I occasionally carpool with a friend that has a 2008 Camry. It's a V6 that gets more than 30 mpg. The nicest car I've ever ridden in, including my dad's three Cadillacs. I'm a sworn Toyota person (currently driving the 1999 RAV 4 I bought new that now has more than 200K miles on it and is going strong), so you can take that bias into account.

Just as an aside, do you ever -- and I mean EVER -- see a Toyota broken down on the side of the highway?

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I bought my first Toyota in 1972. I have owned five Toyotas - including a Camry - over the years. All have been excellent practical vehicles.

Assuming that the Camry you are considering has been checked out such that it does not have a fundamental flaw (bent frame for example), go with the Toyota product.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Buy the Camry. Had one for 4 years (1999-2004) and it ran like a top from the day bought it (1 yr used) until day sold. No problems, engine purred as if new when sold. Fit and finish was excellent. Now have a 2004 Sienna and its been just as great a car. Reliability is wonderful.

Mazda, only rented a few for business trips and the fit and finish is just not there. Same for a recent Fusion. Not bad but just not as solid as a Toyota.

11. Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

Camry every time.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

With .9 percent APR, you might be better buying new than used. But I guess it matters more about the monthly payments for us journalists.

I'm in the same boat. Crossed the Mazda 6 off the list because the Ford employee discount is half as much. Escape is too expensive. It's down to the Fusion and the Milan for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted