1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of those car buying threads (FINAL DECISION MADE)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tmayforth, Apr 17, 2009.

1. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Well, it turns out I probably need to buy a new/used car soon.

The car I have is a 2000 Hyundai Sonata and it has 132,000 miles on it. It was in a wreck before I bought it (but fixed) and for some reason, they didn't put the A/C unit back in correctly, so I've been having problems with it ever since. I've gone through at least three power steering — A/C belts since I moved to my current gig in Dec. '07.

I have it narrowed down to two cars — a 2008 Mazda6 and a 2009 Toyota Camry (both used).

The first is a 2008 Mazda6, 7K miles, 2.3L engine, stock stereo system (not upgraded). The second is a 2009 Camry with 8K miles on it (just came off a lease).

The Camry is $1K more than the Mazda6. Both are under warranty still (the Mazda for 2 more years or 23K miles and the Camry for 7 years, 92K miles).

What experiences do you have with either car? Which one would you rather buy?

I am open to any suggestion(s) and have a price range of low-to-mid 10s.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

The 6 is a more entertaining car, and I prefer its looks and its ergonomics. That four-cylinder engine is actually a better fit for the car in terms of useful powerband than the optional V6, which needs to be wound up a bit.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Mazda 6 has the added benefit of being a UAW-made car.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

C-A-M-R-Y

1) Newer vehicle.
    2) Much, much longer warranty.
    3) Toyotas have better mechanical track record than Mazda, especially now that the latter uses at least some Ford mechanical bits.

IMO, it's Camry and it's not even close. Its resale value will help recoup the $1,000 difference.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You can buy a new 2009 Mazda 16 for $16,500.

Shit if your looking for something that can last as long as a Camry, those 2009 Fusions kick its ass. And low end models are in the $14's right now.

6. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Mutsang, I don't know where you found the 2009 Mazda 6s for $16,500, because all I've found is 09s for $21K and up. I looked into the Fusion, but can't find where they are in the $14s for a low-end model. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the insights so far people. I appreciate it.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

WFW. Go with the Camry.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Fusion had better be a much, much, much better vehicle than its midsized predecessors from Ford for that remark to stick.

I see all sorts of old Camrys on the road. Do you see as many Tempos and Contours of equivalent age still around?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Maybe this will help.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bad analogy. He's not looking to buy an <i>old</i> Camry, Tempo or Contour.

1. And?
    2. False. According to a vehicle comparison at Toyota.com, the two cars' warranties are exactly the same length.
    3. Mazda's vehicle quality went up when it started using more Ford mechanical bits. Trust me on this one. Ford's build quality is hella better than a lot of manufacturers.

For all its supposed build quality, the Camry transmits a helluva lot of road noise on all but the best-maintained roads and isn't a good-handling car — think late-80s/early-90s GM front-drivers.

There's also the obvious question that needs to be asked:<blockquote><b>tmayforth, which car do you feel more comfortable sitting in and going through the motions of actually driving?</b></blockquote>A car can have a great warranty and impress all your friends with whatever factors you tried to impress them with, but if you're simply not physically comfortable driving the car then you're going to be sitting uncomfortably for several years.

The test drive is the most important factor.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My dad was considering a 2008 Toyota Camry along with a 2009 Honda Accord when his 1998 Camry fell off a lift.

He ultimately went with the Accord because he thought some of the dashboard components were (relatively) shoddily made.

Still, if the choice is between the Mazda and the Toyota, I'm taking the Toyota every day and twice on Sundays. The Camry ran well for at least a decade, and Dad said he was sure the car would have lasted him another five years if it hadn't fallen off the lift.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That may have been the case 10-15 years ago but not any more. Ford Fusions are best in class. They hang with the Camry in every aspect. If you don't believe me, look at the reviews. They are easy to find on the internet.

MayForth: Gotta look at the newspaper inserts for your local dealers. Or find the website for your local dealers and find them that way. The Mazda 6 has a wide array of models. The new 2010 could cost a bundle, but if you get the 2009 they are discounted. The dealers need to get them off the lots. Same with the Fusions since the 2010 Fusions are already out.

2009 Mazda 6 has a $1,500 rebate right now plus 0 percent APR for 36 months. 2.9 percent for 48, and 3.9 percent for 60 months. The APR alone with save you a couple grand.

If you buy used you may not be able to get financing for less than 8 percent. That's the best Ford/mazda/lincoln/mercury can offer right now (at least in my neck of the woods).

Draft saved Draft deleted