1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the strangest moments ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

dog,

Not that surprising about your new friend. All half oriental, quarter latino and quarter white guys are freakin' racists.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Dogplop is simply out of it. I've had meals with blacks (Dogplop would say he "has many black friends) and listened to them badmouth other blacks, just as whites would badmouth other whites.

Nothing to see here, dogplop. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

DyePack, the guy wasn't trashing one Oriental person or one Latino. He was saying that as a whole, they have brought about bad things for America.

Hardly the same thing.

4. Dog,

I applaud you for saying something instead of simply letting things go or not truly expressing your feelings by trying to fluff it off with a joke about the guy getting stuck with the check or some other such thing. It's not always easy to shake up a supposedly nice, "light" time when people are joking -- even if the jokes disgust you -- by pointing out how you don't appreciate them so I think it's cool you spoke your mind.
    I can see how people might jump on your wording and think you were giving yourself a pat on the back, but my guess is you were simply thinking most people on here would understand how easy it is to dismiss certain racist rants with logic and weren't looking for gold stars or anything.
    Good job.

5. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Let's ease up on Dog for using the term "Oriental."

It was purely occidental.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Christ, if it makes you feel better, I'll go with the pat-on-the-head approach too.

Dear massage therapist, what you appear to be overlooking in your posts is the fact that you've completely missed the original point of this thread. Heavens, how that could be I don't know. Maybe you read a bit too quickly or only focused on the part you found to be most interesting. Some people out there, the scoundrels that they are, might question your reading comprehension skills for such an obvious oversight. Not I, of course. But others might just do that.

Also, and I do hate to bring this up, but it seems as though you are rather intent on continuing an argument about a subject that was settled several posts back, when I said to everyone that I honestly had no idea the term "oriental" was considered offensive and then apologized for anyone that might have taken offense. I'm assuming you overlooked that as well. You know, and please take this as nothing more than constructive criticism, you seem to have a real, shall we say, issue with only reading the parts of my posts that will allow you to continue this argument. And that again might indicate to some -- and please know that since this is a message board frequented by editors and journalism professionalism, this would be an expert opinion -- you have a real problem in the area of reading comprehension.

I suppose that maybe I should've let this thread go the way you intended -- "Look at ME!, I'm way smart because I would never sink to the level of ridiculing a racist, but I would make backhanded attempts at inferring someone is a racist."

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It's good to know you're out of solitary and can get back to eating with the general population at the ward.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Way to try to divert attention from your obvious cluelessness, dogplop.

To answer the more sensible question posed earlier:

The comments I'm referring to are somewhat similar to the ones dogplop says he smacked down.

An extreme generalization would be a black person saying: "Black people are funny," then adding what could be considered stereotypes. Or a white person saying: "There goes the white trash."

Identical? No. Similar? Probably.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, dog went to the "reading comprehension card."

The usual respite of those who have nothing left to say. At least, of any value. Game, set and match to me, I suppose. I DID enjoy the long-winded, pretty language you used to get to that, however. You again are flawless in your "logic". I can see why the evil racist dude shriveled so quickly with all the ladies at the table watching.

I infer nothing. I assume nothing. I don't know you. I merely pointed out you made a little faux pas in the language while patting yourself on the back.

But obviously, you FEEL like you might be a racist, as you have shown a sensitivity to my original point that did not match the attitude of my question. This guilty feeling might have been why you started a thread to discuss your beatdown of another person who used slurs. Stop feeling so guilty, it can give you an ulcer and cause you to continue to trumpet indefensible positions.

For what it's worth, I sincerely hope the girls at the table were impressed when you used logic to shout down the racist.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Well, I see the vengeful massage therapist has dipped to the absolute bottom of the barrel and declared himself the winner of the argument. I do enjoy the fact that you've sold it so well that it actually seems as though you believe it. But let this be a lesson, kiddies. The guy who declares himself the winner is never the winner. The real winner never has to try and sell others on the fact that he won.

But the therapist did play well, which should've been expected since he created the entire argument out of thin air. Had that not been the case, he might've had a chance. But alas, his many posts in which he tried to prove to everyone just how cultured and refined he is were all wasted on an idiotic mistake that he simply couldn't admit.

For what it's worth, I am somewhat hopeful that your comprehension problems aren't nearly as severe as they seemed, since it appears you did read most of my last post. Oh, and nice try.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Likely, though, he was just laughed at as he has been here.

Draft saved Draft deleted