1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the strangest moments ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's why I mentioned on page one that Mrs. Glortho (or would she be "Zuul, the Gatekeeper?") is half Japanese and prefers Oriental, since Asian could mean many countries other than those in the Far East.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Wait a minute. You're on here talking about the word oriental being a racial slur and your own wife prefers it?

I mean, damn, were you just not satisfied that the original point here was to relay a strange occurrence and felt this thread should go a different way, or what?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Read my original post. I did not say it was a racial slur. I said there are those who would tell you it was a racial slur, and this is an idea that is becoming more prevalent. Especially among non-Asians. I meant nothing personal.

On a board for journalists, it is rather interesting that you're up in arms because I noted the irony of something you WROTE. What do you expect?

I guess I should have let this thread go the way you preferred? "Look at ME! I shouted down the racist with LOGIC!"

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

FWIW, I was always taught that Oriental refers to food and rugs.

People are Asian.

But what the hell do I know?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

really. I can't us A-rab, even tho there's a city near here pronounced the same way.
    Break-your-dick is out, as is Buster (won't Olney be surprised).
    Chicken-shit is used about a Hindu, which didn't apply when I called that name to the fat, pasty-faced white assistant manager at Home Depot on Sunday when I tried to return the broken lawn mower after five uses.
    I'd never heard Darth Maul applied to anyone -- ever -- other than the Star Wars character. And according to this list, would a Hasidic Jew from rural America be a "hayseed hayseed?"

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You did exactly what I said you did. For whatever reason, you decided to completely overlook the point to the original post and tried to start an argument. Simply because you weren't calling me names while doing it doesn't change that fact.

You picked out one sentence and attempted to make it the original point just so you could ... hell, I don't know what you were doing. Maybe you were bored. But even that wasn't good enough, so you started shit about me using a racial slur, which nobody, including your wife, is sure is a racial slur. And when I didn't respond to you the first time, you pointed it out again.

Don't act like I'm somehow overreacting. I've done nothing more than respond to your posts and point out where you're wrong.

7. Piotr Rasputin

You did exactly what I said you did. For whatever reason, you decided to completely overlook the point to the original post and tried to start an argument. Simply because you weren't calling me names while doing it doesn't change that fact.

You picked out one sentence and attempted to make it the original point just so you could ... hell, I don't know what you were doing. Maybe you were bored. But even that wasn't good enough, so you started shit about me using a racial slur, which nobody, including your wife, is sure is a racial slur. And when I didn't respond to you the first time, you pointed it out again.

Don't act like I'm somehow overreacting. I've done nothing more than respond to your posts and point out where you're wrong.
    Not "acting" like anything. I mentioned your use of the word would be offensive to some. You tried to avoid the point that was not pleasing to you. I asked you again, and you decided to overreact and get your pants in a bunch. I mentioned it, and YOU decided to try to sell some lame line like "Oh, I didn't know that! And, um . . . not everyone finds it offensive, so I feel good about myself!" YOU continued to argue when I pointed out my original post had answered your questions. YOU continue to argue now.

Yes, you challenged the racist with logic. Bravo, bravo. But when I noted to you - with logic - that use of a certain term in your little diatribe could be construed by some as racist in and of itself, you screamed and yelled, and you continue to do so. Do not attempt to (mis)interpret my intentions. Do not read between the lines of my posts. Pay more attention to the ideas that you trumpet instead of being Mr. Sensitive when someone actually reads your posts and wishes to discuss the ideas put forth.

Again, this is a board for sports journalists. Writers. Editors. Consumers of the media. Readers. Don't be angry with me because you didn't take proper care with something you wrote. 

"I honestly just tossed that sentence in there and didn't really give it much thought."

Indeed.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

"Don't attempt to read between the lines of my posts."

That's solid advice. Had you actually used it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I used oriental because that's what the asshole I was talking about used. When I asked his ethnicity, he responded with "Half oriental." So, we've got two people who you believe I should be referring to as Asian that are referring to themselves as oriental. But I'm the one who's way out of line.

You're the one who continues to carry this shit along. This thread was dead and buried about four pages back and you went back and got it. Why, I don't know, epecially since you seem to believe that you summed up everything perfectly with your original post here. However, given your obvious need to go back, rewrite the same shit over and over and over, make backhanded slaps at me being a racist and continue to claim that I'm "screaming and shouting" when I've done nothing more than respond to your shots at me, I'm somehow getting the sense that that's not really the case.

And this bullshit about this being a site for journalists, editors, etc., well, I had no idea. Let me just sit here while you completely twist the point of my original post and infer I'm a racist. Again, this falls under the category of advice you might want to take yourself, since, again, I've done nothing more than respond to your posts and point out where you're wrong.

And yeah, I tossed out a sentence without giving it much thought, since it wasn't the point of the post. Maybe that was a mistake. But it's better than doing the same with four or five entire posts.

9. Piotr Rasputin

An interesting point you failed to mention until now. Not that I'm calling its veracity into question, but . . . . . it doesn't change a thing about what I said.

You're not out of line. Never said you were, so maybe such an enlightened soul as yourself, who "challenges racists with LOGIC!" feels guilty at his carelessness? I don't think you're a racist, haven't accused you of being a racist, and never even implied you're a racist. You were simply reckless with the language you used while trumpeting your smackdown of a jerk at the dinner table in front of all the girls.

I don't think you're racist. I don't think you're out of line. But you seem a to be a bit sensitive.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I just wanted to say I basically hung out in a beer chilled room all weekend, and I had about as close to a religious experience as one can have.

Without actually dipping a toe into the baptismal pool, anyway.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My strangest moment of the day is that I am eating a toasted BLT for lunch right now.

I have not eaten a good BLT sandwich in at least five years. Boy, I sure forgot what I was missing. This is damn good.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well-fucking-played, sir. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted