1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the strangest moments ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 2, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

That was my thought exactly until the not white declaration.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Two points:

1. I always chuckle when people say "I killed the racist with logic and made him look rather foolish and ignorant several times." I always wonder just what kind of "logic" makes these guys look dumber than they already did, and also what kind of "logic" comes into play in such a situation. Especially since "logic" is usually not something his type is interested in.

2. There are those who would say use of the word "oriental" is racist.

(I know this will start the usual chorus of "Jim rome SUCKS!" responses)

The other day, Jim Rome was ranting about how the word "oriental" is racist and such, after the golf announcer (shit, forgot his name) used it to describe Tiger's influences from his mom for his latest Major victory. Of course, one of Rome's stoner callers then called in with an old story about seeing Tiger golfing as a kid in which he made fun of Mrs. Woods' accent "She talks in broken english, and it was funny to hear her yell." Rome the hypocrite didn't say a word about making fun of people with foreign accents after his little rant about Oriental.

Anyway, point is some would say that word in and of itself is racist. My wife - who happens to be half Japanese, her mother who emigrated here in the 1960s - notes that people freak out at the usage of "Oriental", since Asian could mean India, Pakistan, etc. while "oriental" is more specific.

I'm not from the Far east, and I'm not someone who tells other people what should offend them, so I can't comment either way.  

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just when you think you've heard it all ...

The Age of Enlightenment is indeed upon us.  ::)

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I just think it shows a lack of forsight in choosing a screen name when our author must refer to his wife as "Mrs. Dog" ;D

5. pallister

pallister Guest

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But does that say worse about the Mrs. or the Dog? 8)

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, I'm thinking you did. But just keep posting on the "so often overlooked side of racism" and maybe you can convince somebody that you didn't.

Please, tell us all how we've overlooked the huge racial issue of someone of a particular race degrading someone else of the same race. I thought it was somewhat of a rarity, but obviously, I'm mistaken.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

We all make mistakes.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stop that. Been brought up before. I should just go simple and say, "the wife and I."

And yes, it was a complete lack of forsight. I can't even remember why I picked either the name or the numbers. I'm thinking I just logged on with no intent of ever posting and picked some random name and then had to add numbers because the name was taken. But I'm not even sure about that.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Seriously? You're over here pointing out spelling errors? In the meantime we've got pho-real and his eight different personalities misspelling every other word.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Buckdub hates misspellers.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Here we go.

Draft saved Draft deleted