1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the great athletic feats of all time happening this week -- who cares?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All of us learn to write swim in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things. [/bobknight]

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Re: One of the great athletic feats of all time happening this week -- who cares

You mean webbed fingers and toes? :D

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: One of the great athletic feats of all time happening this week -- who cares

This guy cares...

[​IMG]

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why is that so hard to believe? I might be wrong about this but I remember hearing that a large percentage of the names discovered in that recent steroid scandal that implicated Gary Matthews Jr. and Evander Holyfield were those of teenagers. I'm reaonably certain there are more than a few juiced 13-15-year-olds out there.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Great point...I loved the Asian Games story, though I wish the writer had emphasized that exactly ONE country located in the Asian landmass wasn't invited, and mentioned why.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i think it would get at least a little more coverage if it wasn't being held in melbourne, australia. sure, you can get wire copy and a few papers sent people but i think it would get much more coverage if the event was in this country.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So when the U.S. Nationals are held in July in Indianapolis, and Phelps is doing amazing things again, we should expect huge coverage, right?

Last time I checked, World Championships got to be held in other countries, especially for swimming in Australia where the country gives a crap year-round.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Roger Federer? Who?

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

gb, you're a fucking moron.

yes, it will get more coverage when it's in indy. no, it won't get "huge coverage." no one here thinks it will.

and thanks for clarifying that world championships are held in other parts of the world beside the united states. this self-evident point has no bearing on the fact that australia is far away and when an event is taking place far from here, it gets less coverage.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't forget the ridiculous time difference between here and Australia.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

leo, you're almost there. However, the fact is that no, it won't get more coverage in Indianapolis. It's a niche sport, and unfortunately, it's probably one you had to spend time around to appreciate.

19.32 resonates with me. Any time Phelps has put up does not. I don't put that out there as a badge of honor by any means; I think it's a shame that certain sports don't have the draw they deserve. But I just can't relate to it.

And especially sad is the indisputable fact that, for sportswriters anyway, swimmers get less notoriety than they deserve due to overbearing swimming parents.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Plus, in a world championship year, the U.S. championship are a diminished event. Has always been that way, given the order they do it in.

Track has it right in that regard: a natural progression from fall to indoor to outdoor, and from national to world championship meets.

Draft saved Draft deleted