1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the coolest things I've ever experienced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeffshelman, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

Even though I'm a now a recovering sportswriter, bear with me.

As a reporter at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the past few days have been just a smidge busier than normal with the bridge collapse.

Anyway, I wanted to share one story. On Saturday, a large box of food, sweets, goodies arrived at our newsroom from the folks at The Roanoke Times. As anyone who has covered a big story knows, it's pretty much go, go, go for as long as possible and the gesture was great. Very cool.

Following is the note we got from the folks in Roanoke. So if there's anybody on here from there, thanks a lot.

To Star Tribune journalists:

A few days after the Virginia Tech shootings, a large box arrived in our newsroom. Inside was a note and lots of stress-relieving junk food like you'll find in this box. The note was from Joe Haight, managing editor of The Oklahoman of Oklahoma City. Joe wrote that similar boxes arrived in his newsroom after the McVeigh bombings. He recalled what that gesture meant to his staff, which had been worn down to a nub covering the catastrophic community event.

We were so moved that we vowed to pass it on when we next sensed a newsroom could use a little pick-me-up. So please consider this a journalistic chain letter of sorts, one that you'll pass on when the next bulletin breaks in a newsroom somewhere in America.

Enjoy the snacks. Sorry we couldn't send beer (company policy, ya know). And most of all, take care of yourselves.

The Roanoke Times newsroom

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's one of the classiest things I've ever seen.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Very, very cool.

4. Makes me proud to be in the biz.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great job Jeff. stop back anytime...

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That's incredible and a hell of a gesture. But here's to hoping that I don't have to ever bear witness to one of those boxes.

By the way, Jeff, keep up the good work.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wow. Beautiful work.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's amazing. It really can be a classy business if people care about it.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Very, very classy and cool in a time of need.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is one of those stories that makes me proud of our business. Thanks for sharing it.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Classy move. Anyone know the origins of the boxes that went to The Oklahoman?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Awesome stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted