1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of The Big Ones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Taking quick break from new duties - all going well, thanks to all who asked - to reveal one of the two big ones I talked about ages ago.

ESPN the Magazine has reached a deal with Chris Jones, yes THAT Chris Jones.

He's still with Esquire as a writer at large. But he'll also be writing some stuff for the mag. I've seen some of the stories they want him to do. It is impressive and I hope he's able to pull all of them off.

This is one of the best writers going, a great get for ESPN the Mag.

The other big one is still in talks, not at all sure it will happen but it isn't out of the question.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Congrats to the man that put me onto Explosions in the Sky and Band of Horses.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to go, Jonesy!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey Moddy, does your new role at VCU include starting a football program?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does this mean drinks are on you, Jonesy, even if McCain wins? ;)

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Good for Jones. I thought Esquire had exclusivity on his mag writing.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dammit to hell, this means I'll have to start reading ESPN the magazine.
    Sucky, mcsuck.
    What next for the Jones? Taking over Around the Horn? Hosting Friday Night Fights? Becoming the "Face" for ESPN Ocho and leading its groundbreaking coverage on kickball?

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Congrats, Jones. Moddy, it's go to know the pipeline hasn't froze up with the new gig. I hope the job is starting off well.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wonderful news, Jones. Congrats. I can't wait to read about your penis in The Magazine.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I have no desire to give ESPN any of my money, but I'm looking forward to getting the chance to read Jones' work more often. I wonder if there is a place on the subscription form where I can write: please just send me the issues with stories by Jones in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted