1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the best videos ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Feb 15, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's classic.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's so hilariously cruel that I almost wish it was fake.

But this is why Dick Cheney shouldn't be allowed to interview people without a wireless mic.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You could see that one coming all the way up Broadway.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. The dude who built it seemed like a bit of a prick.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I don't know. I'm thinking it's fake. I've never been in TV, but aren't most mic cords black? This one is yellow/white, almost to make you notice it. And, the subject (Brian) points out right away, "Watch the cord."

I thinking the Guiness Book of World Records already evaluated this thing and this is how they decided to dismantle it, as a gag.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, I don't know. It's possible, hadn't thought of that. Reaction was pretty real to me.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Turns out it was staged. Here is the word from Brian himself:

Tower of Pisa

Constructed in January 2005 in the Olsen Library on NMU's Campus

I built this tower because people everywhere were wondering what the next structure would be. I wanted to do one that was rather unique, and I had built this one at home, and it was a blast to do. Unlike the original Pisa tower which has mortar and the such this one relies only on gravity to keep the lean. It is made completely hollow just as the original one is.
    It took about six days to construct because it collapsed seven times before finally perfecting the lean. It took approximately 80 sets of Jenga to build this tower.
    It was demolished by stringing a wire through the bottom of it which was hidden out of view of the camera that was filming the event. When 'interviewer' Mike Roy stepped around it with his microphone cord the wire was pulled to make it collapse.

From the student paper:

The back story.....yes, it was staged. It is a mock interview that was used for a Lake Superior Community Partnership dinner. It features Dr. Roy playing the role of a television reporter. In the process of interviewing Bryant Varney about his Jenga-block creation, Mike stands dangerously close to the Leaning Tower of Pisa and then "accidentally" demolishes the structure with his microphone cable. The funny thing is that people who have seen the video clip on the Web but don't know Mike often have the impression that he is a real (clumsy) reporter.

10. Msaint

Msaint Member

The stilted, immediate "Jeez, Brad, I don't know what to say" line doesn't scream FAKE to you guys? Come on.

edit: oops, double down must have been posting as i was. never mind....

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The guy's official Jenga project site:

http://faculty.nmu.edu/ims/jenga.htm

In other news, there's not a lot to do in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

EDIT: A better site, with images: http://cara-jo.net/bryant/

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Are the hard hats really necessary?

Draft saved Draft deleted