1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of my grade school friends, who I haven't talked to in 35 years...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think most people on FB have been added by at least a couple people who they barely knew more than 20 years ago. And I'm sure there are a lot of people who accept the invites just because they don't want to seem like a dick.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think one of the weird things about FB is how you have these "relationships" with people who may be just casual acquaintances and now it feels like you are best friends because you know seemingly what they are doing every minute of the day.

I have one guy who I worked with exactly one day of my life, but now I know everything about him.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seriously, that's your fault, not his. Hide him.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I never said it was anyone's fault. I have hidden plenty of people who are annoying. I don't mind this guy's updates. He's a nice enough guy.

I was just pointing out the strange situation of having a friend I know better online than in real life, which I guess isn't that unusual.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't know you were from Tennessee, Starman.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would have said West Virginia, but that'll work too. Bikini pics of a guy's daughter...not sure if that reaffirms my decision to leave FB or calls it into question

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You left FB? Huh.

I apparently need to look at my friends list more often. :(

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking about school "friends", someone I went to middle school with originally found me on MySpace. We friended each other on MySpace and Facebook. The funny thing is, we've become better friends through Facebook than we were in middle school.

About the pictures and the comments, I'd agree with IJAG. Worth a defriending at the very least. If you and he were good friends, I'd suggest giving him a talking to about inappropriate comments about his daughter.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

See, I would have guessed Georgia.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I'll add my voice to the chorus of ewwws. That's just wrong. Ick.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Some persistent people need to be specifically told to fuck off before the block comes down. Try this next time - it can't hurt.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

A kid that I work with is a complete mama's boy and drives us all nuts. He thinks he's in charge, nothing is ever his fault, can't lift a finger to do anything -- one of those. And he's about 100 pounds overweight, wears clothes that are always too small so you can always see his stomach or his crack, your basic nerd. We actually found him on craigslist once in the gay section and his ad was so wrong...I'm sorry this is getting way off track.

Anyway, he's also a ghosthunter who thinks he's a medium. You should see his blog. He actually thinks he's banished spirits. He keeps trying to friend my boss, who doesn't accept any of us because he's our boss, and repeatedly asks all of us to join his ghosthunting site. He's like this weird little boy playing ghostbusters by himself in his room -- except he's including all of us in his fantasy world. Sometimes I have to walk away to avoid laughing in his face.

Draft saved Draft deleted