1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One night in Philly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No love for the Betsy Ross house to pick up some tchotchkes ?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course. Tiny flags for everyone!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: az is really one of the Rougeaus

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Phew.

I thought this was going to be another Bill Conlin thread.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have no idea what most of you are talking about.

I'm looking for where we should stay -- close to the "things to do," but not too expensive, where we should eat (I prefer local joints), where we should go for a beer (again, locals place), etc.

Two of us are officers and wouldn't mind a nice, more expensive meal. However, one member of our crew is a younger enlisted kid who may not have the money to burn on a $75 steak-type place.

I found a Comfort Inn over near the "Old City," but there are also some Sheraton-type places closer to the city center. Any input on what neighborhood we should stay in would certainly be helpful.

Thanks,

TBF

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Here's the irony: the younger you are, the more likely it is you would prefer Olde City. Many of the bars/restaurants there cater to a more 20ish crowd. Though there are a few excellent mid-to-upscale dining options (Zahav, Buddakan, Amada) nearby.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Don't stay in that Comfort Inn. Old City is great, but the hotel is slightly inconveniently located.

Twice I've gotten great rates (less than $80 with taxes) on Priceline for the Radisson Warwick Plaza in Center City. I definitely recommend it.

There are a lot of great BYOB restaurants around Center City/Old City. I'll give it some more thought to specific recommendations. PM me with any preferred type of food.

Edited to add: clintrichardson just made three excellent restaurant recommendations.

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Outing alert: Mr. Creosote is Tony and his date was Lola, she was a showgirl.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. three_bags_full

Got a hotel. Pricelined the Sheraton at 17th and Race for $75. Hopefully, that's close enough. Checking on some of those restaurants clint suggested.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've stayed at that hotel a few times and found it fairly convenient. You did good at $75

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Agree. If you're driving, there is (or was - it's been awhile) a garage very close by (across 17th, I think) that only charges $5 a night on weekends. It's totally safe. I've parked there a bunch of times. Hotel parking is crazy expensive.

12. three_bags_full

Any good cheesesteak or Italian joints around that area? Looking for something not too expensive -- $20 a plate is probably a good price. And a good pub. And it's gotta be a good one; one of the guys on the crew is Irish.

Draft saved Draft deleted