1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more to the SID ranks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Matt Hurst, The (Riverside, Calif.) Press-Enterprise Angels' beat writer, is the latest to leave the business.
    He's taking the Belo buyout and headed to UC Santa Barbara, where he'll be the Sports Information Director.
    Word is that Michael Becker is getting promoted from high schools to the Angels beat.
    Riverside, Providence and Dallas are going through a buyout program. The buyout list is expected to be announced in early September. Belo has said it wants to eliminate 500 jobs over the three companies. Not sure how many of those will be from the newsrooms.

Me again - Becker was an intern with us in 2004. Great news about him and he'll do well on that beat.

2. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I hear Hurst beats up Chuck Norris regularly. And that he craps rainbows and burps skittles.

And that he flips pennies to make all his important decisions. ;D

Seriously though, I am thrilled for my good friend. This is an ideal situation for him (and perhaps even more so for his new bride). They met and married in SB and fit perfectly in that town.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good. America needs a new hero.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

I thought Bill Mahoney was the longtime SID at UCSB. Has that changed? He had been there for, I would guess, 20 years. Good luck to Matt and the P-E both.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

If there are no sports reporters left in the world, are sports information directors next?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No. Somebody has to write postgame press releases; else TV and radio anchors would have nothing to read.

They also have to process credentials, without which TV cameramen would be reduced to an endless series of car crash shots.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

They'll be even more needed. After all, who will write the recaps that will appear in newspapers verbatim?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

UCSB has to be one of the great job locations in the known universe.

At the COSiDA convention I once interviewed with UCSB for an ass't. SID job. All the SID did to advertise the job was pin up a picture postcard of the beach. He interviewed me in sandals and sweatsuit.

Still not sure why I didn't take the job...

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Matt is going to be the assistant SID.

And it doesn't get any better for an SID job than D-I, on the beach, with no football.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

He's a UCSB grad, so this makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted