1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more reason baseball can take its "Unwritten Code" and shove it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard slides go into the bag, where the runner is supposed to be going. It's up to the fielder to decide how he wants to stand his ground if he is in the runner's way.

Running over the catcher is fine if the catcher is blocking the plate, which is where the runner is supposed to be going (detect a pattern here?). It's up to the catcher how he wants to stand his ground if he is in the runner's way.

And the fielder in either instance can get out of the way any time he wants because, you see, humans cannot travel 95 mph.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nope. Even Col. Steve Austin topped out at 60 mph.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I was just going off of this...

I understand there are injuries possible that can be serious, but I think that happens in any contact sport. I think it would be more of a problem in hockey and football than baseball.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Throwing at batters has always been part of baseball. That isn't going to change because some people who've never played the game beyond Little League feel a needy to sissify it.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't like the "Free Parking" jackpot variation . . . it's obviously inflationary, and it can make a long game even longer, but I understand why many enjoy it.

It remains a great game . . . excepting the horrid luck factor in the early rounds. If you start last or next-to-last in a six-player game, and you're unlucky in the first couple of rounds in terms of what you land on, you may as well resign.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, OK then. Now that we're bringing logic and reason into the discussion . . .

"The reserve clause has always been part of baseball!" --- any owner, 1975.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is that why everyone gets a trophy these days?

Draft saved Draft deleted