1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more reason baseball can take its "Unwritten Code" and shove it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you want to throw at a guy because he's crowding the plate or showboating, I've got no problem with that.

You throw at some rookie because he violated some piddly rule of etiquette, that's just dumb.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Billy Martin might beg to differ ... didn't he get a broken arm from tangling with a pitcher?

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

A pitcher of beer? Probably.

4. When I play with my kids and I get the Reds and Orange properties either side of Free Parking, I would offer them "Corner insurance" if I had lots of houses or hotels. Each time they approached that intersection, they could pay me $200 and get not pay rent if they landed on a property.
    Was great fun.
    Now they are older and they beat me regularly.
    (And we also played the "free parking" lottery rule -- all fines etc in the middle.)

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I submit that they don't throw at you for violating the "piddly" rules. I think the physical retributions (throwing at someone, taking them out at second) are reserved for the serious offenses.

It's not a simple one-punishment-for-any-crime system.

You really ought to read the book.

[/quote]

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Pitchers are fallible human beings.

Just by trying to hit (or intimidate) someone ANYWHERE, there is a decent chance this fallible human will miss the intended target and send the ball toward the batter's head.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Define "decent." I'm going to say if a major league pitcher is trying to hit you in the hip, the chances of him hitting you in the head and killing you are very very very very very very very remote, which I base on the fact that it hasn't happened in 91 years, and then under vastly different conditions (dirty balls, poor light, no helmets).

But, hey, if you guys want to say baseball's unwritten rules are stupid because someone could get killed, have at it.

I think they should probably get rid of summer football practice too.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ben Christiansen agrees.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really? Because the batter has the nerve to do his job?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

it's not about doing his job it's about other things that may have happened in the game. Is your Baseball acumen that low that you don't understand this?

Show me where anybody agreed that hitting a guy for simply doing his job is OK

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You fuck up the debate by throwing "get killed" into it.

As long as throwing at a batter increases his chances of a serious or career-threatening injury, it's wrong a thousand times over.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What Pollyanna bullshit. I guess a hard slide to breakup a double play is wrong as well, or maybe running over the catcher should be outlawed.

Draft saved Draft deleted