1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more reason baseball can take its "Unwritten Code" and shove it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The problem with baseball's rules -- unlike just about every other sport -- is that the retaliation from a pitcher for breaching some obscure bit of etiquette could kill you.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My relatives and I used to play the "Put $500, fines etc. ..." into Free Parking all the time, plus we'd kick in an additional $5 every time we landed on Chance and Community Chest. It made for some spectacular games.

One of us would be in near bankruptcy, all our properties mortgaged and we'd be ready to lose. But Free Parking would have $2K in it, and we'd end up landing on it, giving us money for a huge comeback and we'd end up winning. The games would go on for 3 or 4 hours, but it was great.

We'd also pay $50 to get out of jail. But first, we'd roll the dice three times to see if we got doubles. Also, unlike the official rules, we'd have a rule that if you were in jail, you couldn't collect rent. So, if someone landed on Boardwalk with a hotel, and you were in jail, you were out $2K. Fun times.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That would have exactly what to do with whether or not an etiquette exists inside baseball?

Baseball is a lot more physical sport than golf but certainly less physical than, say, football, hockey or soccer. The etiquettes that have evolved within each of the sports, to lesser or greater extent, reflect that reality. Meanwhile, I'll still refrain from jiggling the change in my pocket while others putt.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I suspect all of them involve who'll buy the first round in the bar after the game.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'd think twice about violating any hockey code if I was playing against Marty McSorley's team.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are mostly correct sir.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can't kill anybody in Football or Hockey?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You are expected to call your own (I forget what the term is for when your broom touches a rock) in curling. I did that a lot.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Overdramatic much? Pretty sure the only guy ever to be killed by a pitch was not wearing a helmet. So, this point is a little silly.

By the way, the Baseball Codes is a very good book. You can disagree with some of the stuff, and the book actually talks about how those within the game often disagree, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

burning the rock

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not from 60 feet, 6 inches away.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Baseballs have killed quite a few people over the past few years at various levels of the game.

If a ball is coming at your head at 95 mph, you gonna feel secure that only one MLB player has ever died from getting a bean to the noggin?

Draft saved Draft deleted