1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more reason baseball can take its "Unwritten Code" and shove it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Took heat from whom? Not his own team, I hope.

Fuck it. Somebody grooves one for me, close game, 10-run game, I don't care. I'm swinging for the fences. I get paid to hit the ball, not to boost the pitcher's self-esteem. If he wants to "gather himself," call a time out.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Never, ever have heard that one.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think pitchers and managers are making this shit up as they go along. I never heard that one either. if a manager is dumb enough to leave his pitcher after back-to-back dongs, he's deserves to get a hat trick.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In a close game? You gotta be shittin' me.

You give up back-to-backers, it's your own fuckin' problem to "gather yourself."

Gather your diapers and hit the goddamn showers.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

curling

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Baseball Codes has been all over this one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-Code-Ten-unwritten-baseball-rules-you-mig?urn=mlb-238853

1. Don’t swing at the first pitch after back-to-back home runs

This is a matter of courtesy, respect for a pitcher who is clearly struggling, offering just a sliver of daylight with which to regain his senses. When Yankees rookie Chase Wright gave up back-to-back-to-back-to-back homers against Boston in 2007, the guys who hit numbers three and four — Mike Lowell and Jason Varitek — each watched a pitch before taking a cut.

“Let him know, okay, I’m not swinging,” said Hal McRae. “I know you’re out there trying to do a job, and I have to do a job — but you’ve just given up back-to-back home runs. So I take the first pitch.”

Alas, it appears to be a little-known rule at this point. Sparky Anderson was a religious observer of the rule in the '70s but it has mostly fallen into obscurity.

http://thebaseballcodes.com/2010/06/23/dont-swing-at-the-first-pitch-after-back-to-back-homers-rip/

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I can buy some of the so-called "Code," if for no other reason than you certainly don't want to violate the one truly immutable law of sporting competition, which is "what goes around, comes around."

To that end, it's probably not a good idea to steal bases in the seventh inning when you're up 12-0, you probably shouldn't keep up a full-court press when you have a 30-point lead with six minutes left in the game, and I'd advise against a flea-flicker when you're ahead by five touchdowns midway through the fourth quarter.

But the rest of these ticky little rules? Screw them. You hang me a curveball on the first pitch after back-to-back home runs and I'm swinging at that fucker. I don't care what the score is. It's not my job to make your job easier. End of story.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hal McRae?

Just don't ask him if he planned on hitting Brett instead of Miller.

Hal's code will include Popov and OJ, after chucking a phone at you.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You don't know how funny that is considering I actually curl, and yes, even in Curling there is some "unwritten rules"

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hell, Monopoly has unwritten rules.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

(1) Don't sit on a $500 bill, pretending that you don't have it.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Does anyone else play the "put a $500 bill and all the luxury tax and Chance/Community Chest fine money in the middle, get it all if you land on 'Free Parking'" rule?

How about being able to pay your way out of jail with $200?

Draft saved Draft deleted